cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Employed + a Bad 5 Year Old Debt - DTI Ratio off. Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Self Employed + a Bad 5 Year Old Debt - DTI Ratio off. Help!

I need some help finding the right lender for my wife and I. We just dealt with Quicken Loans who said no because my DTI ratio is 70%. The reason is I am self employed and 2012 was a loss, while 2011, 2013, and 2014 are profitable years, and they will only look at 2012 and 2013.

I would apprecaite some help here. I need to find the right mortgage lender instead of applying and guessing radomly. Here are my details.

Married, I am self employed, she is employed elsewhere.

Current home has a private mortgage since purchase 30 months ago. Zero issues.

Equity 60k

We want to move 1300 miles away, so my self employment & income will not change, she will be without a job. Thus having her on the mortgage may or may not help.

We both have car loans and small credit cards ( $500 limit, always a minimum balance)  with no payment issues.

Both credit scores 640-660 range. Plus our private mortgage is NOT being reported to the agencies.

I was going to apply just myself since she will tecnhincally not have a job when we move. Yes, she will look ahead and apply, but no guarantees for her. My problem is two fold. 1. The 2012 loss. 2. I have a 5k discharged credit card debt from Capital one from 2009 still on my report. However, it says this. 

Credit Report Remarks on Cap One.
Charged off as bad debt
Dispute resolved; reported by grantor

A credit counseler from Quicken Loans told me that "Dispute Resolved" may mean it may not count toward me as a negative Plus being 5 years old. This is too good to be true?

Regardless, who is going to be interested in financing us? Basically we are looking for a 200k home and will put 50k cash down. We are opening to buying before seling, which may have a 2 month overlap, but even then that would stretch the "credit", but not our finances.

Thoughts?
Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

Re: Self Employed + a Bad 5 Year Old Debt - DTI Ratio off. Help!

I think your best bet would be to wait until after you file your 2014 taxes. Lenders will take the average of your last 2 returns, which is why they are looking at only 2012 and 2013... 2014 isn't over yet. I don't know of any specific lenders that can do what you're looking for, except for maybe a portfolio or hard money lender. Almost any lender will be able to help you once you file your 2014 taxes.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I am thinking. Just get taxes processed asap in January and go from there. 

Side questions. If our joint taxes show $100k as our joint income from my self employment and her job, and I am the only one that applies for the mortgage, do they take my income as 50k or 100k?

Message 3 of 5
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

Your income is whatever portion of the 100k you earn.

Message 4 of 5
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

I too am in the self employed game - and I feel your frustration.  In 2012 I only banked $55k because I was just ramping up.  $75k in 2013.  Averaged together, not so great.  This year I will be $136k and I already have contracts signed for 2015 that will propel to $150+k - can't do jack till after the turn of the calendar.  Explain the situation to your CPA and them file ASAP.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.