Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Paid Closing Costs

tag
0errant
New Contributor

Seller Paid Closing Costs

I'm having a hard time understanding closing costs now that we've had to switch to a conventional loan. Seller agreed to pay up $5500 in closing costs, $2500 termite fee, and $750 for NHD, CO Tranx Tax, Sect. 1. Looking at my loan summary, non of those costs are being attributed to the seller, which brings my total due at closing up much higher than I anticipated.

I spoke with the LO, and he said the numbers on the paperwork aren't set in stone, yet, and that of course he would charge those things to the seller. But then he said conventional loans have a 3% limit on closing costs paid by seller. That would only be $3450... much less than they agreed to pay. Is this correct?

Starting Score: 528
Current Score:840 DISC, 788 EFX, 849 TRU, 850 XPN
Goal Score: 850+ for all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
0errant
New Contributor

Re: Seller Paid Closing Costs

Has anyone heard of this 3% limit on seller paid closing costs? And which costs are actually considered closing costs? Is the termite inspection considered a closing cost? Or will that not apply to the 3% limit?

Message 2 of 10
Heavanly1
Regular Contributor

I've only heard of FHA limiting the percentage the seller can contribute to closing cost; I've never heard of a conventional lender doing the same. You may want to speak to your LO about whether the limitation is an industry standard or specific to that bank.

In reference to closing cost, a termite inspection is usually an additional component of the home inspection (at an additional charge), which is not considered a closing cost. However, caps on how much the seller can contribute towards the sale of the home are just that, caps. Regardless of how you choose to use the seller subsidy makes no difference (so in short, yes the termite inspection would count towards the 3%).

Message 3 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Conventional loans limit seller concessions to 3% of sales price. FHA limits used to be 6%, but I thought I heard they were dropping to 3% as well very soon.

If it is written in the contract that they will contribute a certain amount/%, and it does not comply with underwriting guidelines, the mortgage broker will only allow up to the max and disregard the rest. That's just the way it goes.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 4 of 10
0errant
New Contributor

Well, phooey! This is going to put me out of pocket much more than I was expecting Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Why did you have to switch to conventional?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 10
0errant
New Contributor

Because I have an existing FHA on my first home.

Message 7 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Ah, are you buying in the same area as your current home?  There are a few exceptions to be able to have 2 FHA homes.  Can you refinance your current home as non-owner occupied conventional, so you can use FHA again?  May require delaying the closing on the new home by a week or two, but the refinance can be done simultaneously.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 8 of 10
0errant
New Contributor

Same area as current home. Current home has less than 20K owed, so I don't think refinancing it as this point would make sense.

Message 9 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Oh I think I responded to your other thread, "2 FHA's".  If you have accepted using conventional then it's been put to rest, but there are those two options I laid out.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.