Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Paying HOA Fees in Advance

tag
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Seller Paying HOA Fees in Advance

We are in the process of buying a condo with a very large monthly HOA.  In addition to the seller paying closing costs at the max allowed can they, as part of the contract , pay the HOA fees in advance directly to the association ?  They have agreed to this but we are not sure if the lender will allow if it's in the contract.  I know I can also lower the price by  the amount in question but would rather have the credit with the building.  Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kjade1030

Re: Seller Paying HOA Fees in Advance

This depends 100% on your lender's policy regarding reviewing the seller's side of the closing disclosure.  I have worked for some lenders that will do this all day long, others will not.  It is supposed to be 6% on FHA but there is a gray area we often get exceptions on if it's over 6% if it is "standard and customary".  If the HOA bills 2 times a year or quarterly, it would fit this.  If monthly, it would not, but it sounds like they don't bill monthly otherwise the seller wouldn't have paid in advance.

Message 2 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

What did the lender say/do?

Message 3 of 4
kc0039
Established Contributor

@800goal800 wrote:

We are in the process of buying a condo with a very large monthly HOA.  In addition to the seller paying closing costs at the max allowed can they, as part of the contract , pay the HOA fees in advance directly to the association ?  They have agreed to this but we are not sure if the lender will allow if it's in the contract.  I know I can also lower the price by  the amount in question but would rather have the credit with the building.  Thanks 

What kind of loan? What percentage are you asking for?

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.