Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller's agent is asking for proof of funds for closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seller's agent is asking for proof of funds for closing

The house is listed for 199K and I offered 204K + 3% closing help. Apparently there's multiple offers. The seller's agent is asking for proof of funds for closing. Why do they need to check the funds? I do have enough to cover the diference of closing costs. Is that an sign they will not accept my offer? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seller's agent is asking for proof of funds for closing

Maybe they are interested in your offer and want to make sure you can cover your end....speculation...Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe they are interested in your offer and want to make sure you can cover your end....speculation...Smiley Happy

or maybe they want to see how much money you have before they counter?

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 14
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The house is listed for 199K and I offered 204K + 3% closing help. Apparently there's multiple offers. The seller's agent is asking for proof of funds for closing. Why do they need to check the funds? I do have enough to cover the diference of closing costs. Is that an sign they will not accept my offer? 

Perhaps seller does not think it'll appraise for that much and wants to ensure you have the funds to cover the shortage.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 4 of 14
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

What is your agent saying?  Seller agent is looking for the best deal for her client.  Have you looked at Zillow or Redfin to see what they estimate the appraise value of the home in question is?  Like what was said before, there might be a chance the home won't appraise for the amount of your offer.

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Zillow values are trash They are AVM values 1b) Redfin is not worth anything either.  If you believe them I can sell you several houses for Zillow values  and retire very very rich and you bk.   2) Have your broker do a CMA/BPO  3) POF can either mean multiple offers or they like your offer.  4) Many sellers do not want to go under contract with some one who can't close.  I have flipped over 100 houses. On all our "buys" we submit POF and we require preapproval for loan and POF for the down payments when we sell . At  least one deal a year I have somebody say I have the cash and want to buy and then not be able to come up with the POF.  In many markets today the inventory is very weak and hard to get comps. ALSo, have the POF show just the amount needed in the offer not a dime more.  

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help!

Seller will decide tomorrow. So nervous 

Message 7 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

1) Zillow values are trash They are AVM values 1b) Redfin is not worth anything either.  If you believe them I can sell you several houses for Zillow values  and retire very very rich and you bk.   2) Have your broker do a CMA/BPO  3) POF can either mean multiple offers or they like your offer.  4) Many sellers do not want to go under contract with some one who can't close.  I have flipped over 100 houses. On all our "buys" we submit POF and we require preapproval for loan and POF for the down payments when we sell . At  least one deal a year I have somebody say I have the cash and want to buy and then not be able to come up with the POF.  In many markets today the inventory is very weak and hard to get comps. ALSo, have the POF show just the amount needed in the offer not a dime more.  

^^^Exactly right.  Couldn't have said it better. 

Message 8 of 14
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This has me confused. Are people actually offering over the listed price for houses now?  If so, is this a common thing now? I thought list price was where you begin negotiations and then you make offers for less, and then usually meet somewhere in between.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sarge, in many markets today list price is just the starting price. I have under contract now that got 21 offers in the first 7 days . If house in my market is even close to what  you want you have to make an offer because there is simply nothing out there/   If the buyer asks for anything I can move  on to another one that won't   Trying to value these things in this market is very hard.  Alot of what you see being sold now built for contract at unreal prices.  This is a seller market

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.