cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a rental property before acquiring another mortgage?

tag
blue_moon
Established Member

Selling a rental property before acquiring another mortgage?

I co-signed for a condo with my son who always paid the mortgage late which negatively impacted my credit score.  My son moved out of the condo and rented the condo to someone who has paid every payment on time and I have taken over sending in the mortgage payment.  Therefore, my credit score has improved.  My son now wants to sell off the condo for what's owed on the condo so he won't have to pay the association dues.  I think selling off the condo while I'm trying to pull up my scores and purchase a home will hurt me more now than if we wait four months to sell it after I've closed on a home of my own.  My fico scores are

Equifax 662 Experian 640 and Transunion 657

I do not have very many good accounts on my credit record and this is one of the four accounts that I now have that show on-time payments for 14 months.  Will my credit score suffer if we sell off the condo before I get approved for a  home mortgage or should I get my score up high enough to get approved for a home mortgage and then sell the condo?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Selling a rental property before acquiring another mortgage?

bumping this for the fico warriors.....
i am not a score guru myself.....

are you trying to buy another home? primary residence? or another investment property?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Selling a rental property before acquiring another mortgage?

Are you worrying about your score after the mortgage loan is paid???...or as far as the mortgage...wouldn't keeping it...help as far as adding more income on your part???...I don't know...closing an installment loan hurts sometimes...but I don't think it will be a tremendous decrease..what you should do is...contact the mortgage company...and see if they will be willing to make a goodwill adjustment to their credit reporting...by removing all the previous late payments...that will help your score more...
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.