Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shane! :-) Current FHA Rate for a Refi from Conventional

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane! :-) Current FHA Rate for a Refi from Conventional

Shane, It appears you are "Da-man" around here when it comes to mortgages and I wanted to ask a question about an FHA refinance that I am working on.  Anyone else that wants to chime based on their FHA refi experiences, please do so as well!!!!  Smiley Happy

The two questions will be;

1.  Am I getting a good interest rate based on the info below?
2. Are my closing costs in line with expectations (located in TX)

Current Scores are 610-640 (mid-score is 620).  Last 12 months are perfect across 4 CC's, 2 cars and 1 mortgage (a few old baddies).  Currently have a conventional loan @ 8%.  Currently owe $249,500 and expect appraisal to come in around $285,000 (LTV 87%).  DTI with existing mortage is 40%.  In a stable market (Austin).

My mortgage broker is quoting me a rate of 6.25% (approved and locked, pending termite inspection and appraisal).  GFE has closing costs and prepaids right at $10K ($4400 in prepaids <high taxes>, and $5,800 in the origination fee and closing costs).

I consider myself to be pretty educated after reading all your posts Smiley Tongue but wanted your expert opinion to make sure I'm doing OK.

Thank You!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shane! :-) Current FHA Rate for a Refi from Conventional

bump.....
Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Sorry for the delay Tex, been a busy week-and-a-half.

6.25% with an origination fee is a bit high for FHA with a 620 mid score, should be more like 5.75-5.875% with an origination fee - or about 6% with no origination fee.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane - no problem man, I appreciate you taking the time to reply with some good info!  THANK YOU!

I just sent you an e-mail with my GFE and some additional information.  I would like to talk to you further and possibly make a lender change.  I don't think my current broker is getting me the best deal possible.

Thank you again and hope to chat with you soon.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane - thanks again for assisting with this one. 

I wanted to take the time to thank you publicly, not only for helping me with this FHA re-fi, but all the contributions that you make to these boards.  As I told you in the e-mail, your feedback and "industry insider" information has helped many folks, and assists in keeping all of "the other guys" in the morgtage industry, honest.  Smiley Happy

Our ability to run things by you, have you sanity check them, validate, call "BS" or whatever other outcomes there may be, are invaluable to this community.

Thanks Again,
Tex
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.