cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheriff's Deed in South Carolina

tag
agwood75

Sheriff's Deed in South Carolina

I am trying to buy a house and the loan officer is asking for a sheriff’s deed to show the seasoning period has been longer than three years for an FHA loan. The house that was foreclosed on was in South Carolina and I am currently trying to buy a house in Indiana. I was able to get ahold of the register of deeds and they are providing me with the deed that was in my name and also the deed to show when the mortgage company repossessed the home. I was also able to get ahold of the Master of Equity office and they provided me with the document that shows when the house was sold at the sheriff’s sale (Signed by the Judge), but none of these say sheriff's deed. I know real estate laws are different in each state, but the mortgage agent is adamant that it must say Sheriff’s deed. Can anyone help with this, or guide me in the correct direction if South Carolina does offer a Sheriff’s deed?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sheriff's Deed in South Carolina

So the property was sold at auction by the Sheriff's Dept., and a deed was issued to the purchaser?

Message 2 of 5
agwood75

That is correct. I have the paperwork that shows the property was sold at sheriff's auction on 1/11/2013 and I have the copy of the deed that shows the mortgage company bought the property and it was deeded in their name on 1/23/2013.

Apparently Indiana issues a Sheriff's Deed, but south Carolina issues a Court Order Deed. However, the loan officer feels that the bank may ask for the Sheriff's deed before approval. Like I said, it may be just the difference in wording between states but I would hate for the loan to get help up due to this.

Also, my Credit report reflects the dates above.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The sheriff sells at the order of the court.  They are the same thing.

So. Car. is not going to give it a different name simply because someone in another state wants it called something else.

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@agwood75 wrote:

I am trying to buy a house and the loan officer is asking for a sheriff’s deed to show the seasoning period has been longer than three years for an FHA loan. The house that was foreclosed on was in South Carolina and I am currently trying to buy a house in Indiana. I was able to get ahold of the register of deeds and they are providing me with the deed that was in my name and also the deed to show when the mortgage company repossessed the home. I was also able to get ahold of the Master of Equity office and they provided me with the document that shows when the house was sold at the sheriff’s sale (Signed by the Judge), but none of these say sheriff's deed. I know real estate laws are different in each state, but the mortgage agent is adamant that it must say Sheriff’s deed. Can anyone help with this, or guide me in the correct direction if South Carolina does offer a Sheriff’s deed?

^^^I think that you should be on the lookout for another LO or even another lender. This one sounds like they are close minded....JMO. Feel free to ignore me, but be cautious. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.