Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for Lender

tag
Heatherkins
New Contributor

Shopping for Lender

When shopping for a lender, what should we look for? look out for? 

We're looking to close in mid-late April when our lease is out. Is now about the right time to get a pre-approval? Or do pre-approvals only last a short time? Should we wait until our taxes for this year are done before we apply?

So many questions. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping for Lender

I'd put off one more month.

Pre approvals have a shelf life. 120 days?  Not sure

I'd wait till 2014 taxes are completed.  They're prolly gonna ask for them anyway.

Evaluate your credit file so you know whats going on, then shop for a lender.  Ask folks in the real estate business to help.  They want to sell you a house, so will send you to guys they think can get you the money.  Other words they are motivated.

Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If your lease really ends the end of April, get pre-approved now. It takes time to find a place, get the mortgage processed and closed and for you to move.  Usually with an FHA mortgage you are looking at 30 days for contract to closing but some lenders (and markets) take longer. 

Pre-approvals usually last 90 days or so.  It is nearly Feburary. Allow yourself some time to find the right place.

Yes, you may need your 2014 tax return filed first so file asap if you can.

Look for a lender the originates and funds their own loans - a correspondent lender or mortgage banker. Look for an experienced LO that can answer your questions and if s/he can't answer immediately, then they have access to the underwriter to get the answer.

A pre-approval can be issued quickly if you provide your paperwork quickly. If the lender won't give you a pre-approval in writing, that is a red flag. If the LO says "find the house first" that is a red flag. Any good, experiened LO can give you a pre-approval for what you qualify for with a max amount to spend on your taxes and insurance. When you do find a property you want to make an offer on, then the LO can redo the figures so you can see the actual costs for that property. You can then get a better estimate of closing costs.

Stay away from the big box banks (Wellls Fargo and BOA) - they will issue a pre-approval quickly but when it comes to actually closing they still have a large fall out rate. Not due to the buyer (usually) but due to their processing of the loan. I have seen many deals fall apart a day or two before closing when BOA or Wells is the lender. As a result, in my area most agents will be very wary of any offer made by a buyer using Wells or BOA to fund their loan...and you may actually lose the deal in a multi offer situation.  No one wants to go under contract only to have the deal fall apart right before closing.  

Message 3 of 5
Heatherkins
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions! Is it better to choose a realtor first? or lender/LO? I've read both. I was kind of under the impression that you should know how much to borrow before you talk with realtor. 

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Most of us (Realtors) have lenders we know well that do a great job of getting the loan done. So if you contact a Realtor first, the Realtor will have a few lender referrals for you. If the Realtor suggests that you go to a big box bank like Wells Fargo or BOA, reconsider your choice of Realtors (really, that shows inexperience with the mortgage process). Otherwise make application with one of the lenders the Realtor suggests.

If you feel comfortable choosing your own lender, then get your pre approval with a lender of your choice first and then find a Realtor. The order is up to you. Either way, it is a team process: buyer, lender and Realtor.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.