Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Sale - JP Morgan Chase

tag
Way
Contributor

Short Sale - JP Morgan Chase

My wife and I are considering making an offer on a short sale in our area (Northwest Florida).  I'm curious if anybody has any recent experience with a JP Morgan short sale or any idea what type of review timeframe they are running right now.

Thanks,

Home Depot - $14300 | Care Credit - $11000 | CCUFL - $10000 | Penfed - $7500 | BECU - $7500 | DCU - $7500 | Overstock - $7200 | Discover it Miles - $5500 | Amex Hilton Aspire - $5100 | Discover it Cash Back - $4200 | Cap One QS1 - $2000 | WF Cashwise - $2000 | Apple - $2000 | Citi AA - $1500 | Amazon - $1200 | Sync Car Care - $1200 | Amex Delta Gold - $1000 | Amex BCP - $1000 | Barclay's Apple - $1000 | Cap One QS1 - $850 | Lowes - $500 | Bealls - $350 | Kohls - $300 | Target - $300
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Short Sale - JP Morgan Chase

Chase is very good to work with for a short sale usually. Right now they are running about 60 days for approval. There are exceptions to this. An example would be if the seller doesn't supply the info timely or there are a couple of mortgages, but in general Chase is responsive to their short sales.

Message 2 of 6
Way
Contributor

Fantastic....As a followup, I have no real experience with short sales.  I understand the risk and we will have a private home inspector look if over carefully.  For those of you in the industry, is there any general rule of thumb on what banks will or won't accept?  Are they typically looking for a certain percentage of what is still owed?  A certain percentage of the appraised value?

Home Depot - $14300 | Care Credit - $11000 | CCUFL - $10000 | Penfed - $7500 | BECU - $7500 | DCU - $7500 | Overstock - $7200 | Discover it Miles - $5500 | Amex Hilton Aspire - $5100 | Discover it Cash Back - $4200 | Cap One QS1 - $2000 | WF Cashwise - $2000 | Apple - $2000 | Citi AA - $1500 | Amazon - $1200 | Sync Car Care - $1200 | Amex Delta Gold - $1000 | Amex BCP - $1000 | Barclay's Apple - $1000 | Cap One QS1 - $850 | Lowes - $500 | Bealls - $350 | Kohls - $300 | Target - $300
Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Way wrote:

Fantastic....As a followup, I have no real experience with short sales.  I understand the risk and we will have a private home inspector look if over carefully.  For those of you in the industry, is there any general rule of thumb on what banks will or won't accept?  Are they typically looking for a certain percentage of what is still owed?  A certain percentage of the appraised value?

The lender is not looking for a percentage of what is still owed.  They are looking for market value and in some areas - more than market value. This changes regularly. Right now in my area they are looking at 110% of market value. It is weird, I know. But there was a time when they would accept 85% of market value. The reason it changed is because market demand has increased and inventory levels have dropped. Since it is market driven, it may be entirely different in your area. Your agent, if they do a lot of short sales, should be able to give you a very good idea of how fast the short sales are moving in your area and what the final price is in the neighborhood for similar recent sales.  

To determine value the listing agent will have a CMA done (at a minimum) and may or may not list it near the market value. I have seen short sale listings priced way below market to generate interest and multiple offers. No matter what the buyer and the seller agree to in the contract, the lender is the one that has the capacity to approve the contract or not. For the lender to make the decision, the lender will have 1 or 2 BPO's done on the property and may also have an appraisal done. The lender may choose to ignore the BPO info and appraisal info. It is just one of the factors used to determine market value. The lender almost never releases the BPO or appraisal into to the buyer or seller. They will release the value that they will accept. That value is negotiable too, especially if the lender is coming back with something that is above market value.

Be careful if you aren't working with an experienced short sale agent. There are surprises - for example if the seller is in arrears for condo or HOA fees, the bank limits their contribution to at most one years' worth of fees. It is common for HOA's and condos to add in additional fees (penalties, interest, attorney fees, estoppel fees, etc) and if the seller doesn't have the $$ to pay the extra fees, and if the association won't take less, then the buyer is stuck with the fees IF the buyer agrees. Otherwise, the buyer can cancel the deal. There is quite a bit of detail involved with short sales.

Message 4 of 6
Way
Contributor

Thanks.  A lot of good info.  We only discovered the home was a short sale after making the 45 minute trek out to see it last night.  The listed price looked low, but it's a 6 year old home in a neighborhood that is still being built.  The seller's realtor didn't disclose "short sale" on mls, truilia, etc and I assumed the under market value price was just due to trying to sell a used home amongst a neighborhood of new builds.  We haven't even discussed with our realtor yet.  He is experienced in the local market, but I don't know how regularly he deals with short sales.  We will see him tomorrow.  I'm just trying to go into the conversation with some understanding of the process.

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I am surprised a little bit that the listing agent didn't disclose that it is a short sale. There are specific fields in the MLS to indicate short sale. It is also an ethical violation in most Realtor associations for the Realtor to not disclose a material fact (and a short sale is material). On the other hand, if the seller has the capacity to bring the money to closing without a short sale, then it doesn't have to be disclosed because you won't have to go through the short sale process to get lender permission to sell.

Some seller's have the means to pay the negative equity.

Good luck with your purchase! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.