cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for new credit?

tag
Regular Contributor

Should I apply for new credit?

I read previous posts that refer to FHA loans wanting to see 3 tradelines of credit.  Currently I have a car loan and one cc. I have a few other old car loans showing as positve but those are closed so I doubt they count? The simulator says that applying for and receiving new credit will result in my score of 643 going to a range between 633-653.  I'm trying to get to 660 and I do have three collections to be removed in the next month.  If I go down to 633 how long does it take to recover?  Is it riskier to have new credit or to only have 2 tradelines in the FHA's eyes?
MyFico's:
June 09: TU 591, EQ 526, EX 576
June 10: TU 647 EQ 643, EX 661
March 12: TU 700 EQ 700
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Should I apply for new credit?

Automated underwriting can approve with less than 3 active trade lines so I'd give that a shot first... if you don't get approved then you'd need to provide 3 trade lines at 12 months each... non-traditional credit, such as utilities, insurance, cell phone, etc., can count towards teh 3 trade lines at 12 months each requirement which manually underwriting requires.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for new credit?

If the collections on your report are your only "baddies" and they are all being removed then you should jump up to 660 no problem.

In addition - you should get a boost from your second bank card or a first store card - but applying for new credit is usually not a + to mortgage lenders.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.