cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask rich friend to pay off my mortgage for me?

tag
beegeez
Established Member

Should I ask rich friend to pay off my mortgage for me?

Here is my situation:

My wife has her name on the mortgage for our house as I went through a bankruptcy 1 year ago.  Were paying 5.25% on an FHA loan, which means we're paying a mortgage insurance premium.  We have plenty of equity in our house (45K), but my wife doesn't have the credit score (or debt to income ratio) to refinance into a conventional loan to avoid the MIP, and if she refinances to a lower FHA rate, the increase in MIP would offset any savings we'd get from the lower rate.

I'm trying to determine my options.  On my own, it doesn't appear that I have many.....but

A friend of her family's is a muti-millionaire (100 mil I think).  Should I ask him to pay off my mortgage and see if he'll accept monthly payments directly to him?  I could pay him 10% and still have the house paid for in 15 years if I keep the payment the same as it is now.  He would likely have to pay higher taxes as it would be considered an investment property, so this may increase my payment as well.

Any thoughts?  I'm just trying to stretch my dollars and paying MIP feels like I'm throwing my money in the garbage.

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I ask rich friend to pay off my mortgage for me?

It would be hard for anyone here to give you advice on that matter. I have found that becoming "business partners" or just asking a friend to loan some money can be a bad thing. I am by no means telling you not to consider it, but beware of how your relationship can change due to it. 

I can fully understand your pain of MIP though. I wish you the best of luck and I am sorry that I cannot give you better advice. If he would do it, it sounds like a good deal. Keep in mind though that your property taxes would not be getting paid by the bank at the end of the year so you will be responsible for saving that money instead of having it taken out with the mortgage. 

Message 2 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

How long has your wife had the mortgage?

How much money are you trying to save by  paying off the mortgage with your friend's money?

In my opinion, it would not be a wise thing to do (involve your friend) even if your friend was willing to do it. There are other costs besides money when you borrow funds from your friend like you are planning to do. I am referring to emotional costs.

Message 3 of 8
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

The math is confusing me.

Would you care to disclose the Mortgage terms?

I would not borrow money from a friend.  Even asking causes things to be weird.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 4 of 8
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

@beegeez wrote:

Here is my situation:

My wife has her name on the mortgage for our house as I went through a bankruptcy 1 year ago.  Were paying 5.25% on an FHA loan, which means we're paying a mortgage insurance premium.  We have plenty of equity in our house (45K), but my wife doesn't have the credit score (or debt to income ratio) to refinance into a conventional loan to avoid the MIP, and if she refinances to a lower FHA rate, the increase in MIP would offset any savings we'd get from the lower rate.

I'm trying to determine my options.  On my own, it doesn't appear that I have many.....but

A friend of her family's is a muti-millionaire (100 mil I think).  Should I ask him to pay off my mortgage and see if he'll accept monthly payments directly to him?  I could pay him 10% and still have the house paid for in 15 years if I keep the payment the same as it is now.  He would likely have to pay higher taxes as it would be considered an investment property, so this may increase my payment as well.

Any thoughts?  I'm just trying to stretch my dollars and paying MIP feels like I'm throwing my money in the garbage.

Any advice is appreciated.

No. 

Loans and friendship do not mix, and nearly always result in the loss of the relationship. Just asking for the loan could change the dynamic of the friendship, and it puts your wife's friend in a very uncomfortable position. That aside, if I was your wife's wealthy friend, I would be irritated that anyone would feel it's their prerogative to hit me up for a loan (unless it was a life or death emergency). 

Try working on your wife's credit, so that her score improves. You can also focus on rebuilding and repairing your credit so that you can refi together. Once your scores are ok, work with a mortgage broker who has access to multiple lending sources for help with your refi. 

Message 5 of 8
superfrustrated

You can potentially have the MIP on a FHA loan removed IF  1) the loan has been active for at least 5 years  and 2) the loan-to-value ratio has dropped to at least 78%.

If your loan was originated AFTER 6/3/13, the rules are different than quoted above.  I was assuming your loan was older than that...

Message 6 of 8
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

I'd be more than happy to borrow from your millionaire friend since i don't know them.

Otherwise there are countless stories on the internet on why to NOT mix money and friends. 

Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Finances can strain friendships.  The road to success is paved with good intentions.  You would have to do some soul searching on this one. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.