Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dump my loan officer?

tag
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

Should I dump my loan officer?

I began working with a loan officer a few months ago. I was referred to her by a good friend. She told me I would be able to purchase a home within a year,I just needed to pay off a few things. Here are my issues:

1- she sometimes doesn't respond to emails.
2- she'll set up am appointment to meet then cancel, then she'll ask me when do I want to meet. I'll respond with a date and time and never hear anything back.
3- she hasn't been too helpful on assisting me with cleaning up my credit. Although I'm not depending on her to "hold my hand". I would expect that she could give me more specific advice and not general information such as, "pay this or pay that."
... if she was your loan officer would you get rid of her and find a new one?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Should I dump my loan officer?

I would move on. This is the easy stuff. How do you think she will be when you really need her?

Message 2 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

You have not stated a single reason to stay with her so move on.

Message 3 of 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...ask a realtor in the area where you are buying to recommend a lender for your situation ...any decent realtor knows which lenders help their clients close home loans and will be glad to send you to one or more ...as the pps said, if you think its bad now, why wait until you really need her? ...move on

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 4 of 10
CreditOCDinCali
Regular Contributor

The reason I wanted to stay with her because my friend told me she was fantastic and helped her get a really good interest rate. I'm new to this whole process so I was just looking for advice.
Message 5 of 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...time to move on ...and please don't use your LO as a credit adviser ...they can be remarkably dense when it comes to the topic ...if they do recommend something, double check it here first ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 6 of 10
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

OMG, lemmus....that is so true.

LO's are clueless when it comes to credit!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frugalQ wrote:

OMG, lemmus....that is so true.

LO's are clueless when it comes to credit!

Hey now, not all of us! CreditOCD, I would definitely move on!

Message 8 of 10
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

my apologies dpeezy!!! Smiley Happy

I should qualify my statement....the majority of LO's are clueless.  the LO's on these forums are excluded from the majority!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditOCDinCali wrote:
The reason I wanted to stay with her because my friend told me she was fantastic and helped her get a really good interest rate. I'm new to this whole process so I was just looking for advice.

In addition to everyone else's comments, rates aren't determined by a LO under any circumstance and my own buddy who's legitimately brilliant by any rational measure recommended a LO that turned out to be a dud to me so I suspect that scenario is a lot more common than one would think.

Find someone that will give you what you need or want; that's not your current one, and there's plenty more out there.  If you have the time you'll generally get better advice here and a few other places than you will from most LO's... certainly here in the mortgage board you get access to a wide variety of helpful and knowledgable industry professionals and many others through experience too.

Non-trivial number of folks here wind up walking into a LO's office knowing more than the LO does about some of the processes, somewhat frightening to think but absolutely true.

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.