Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I even try or wait a while?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I even try or wait a while?

Hi all,

I've been a renter for what feels like forever. I know there's a ton of detail that goes into getting a mortgage approved but I'm hoping that by providing some info here that someone can give me a little advice. Here are some of the highlights:

Scores: 633, 652, 659 (all rising) *was 480 18 months ago

Gross Income: $64k

Expenses: $800ish/mo At least this is the amount that I believe would show as DTI (1 credit card, 1 car pmnt, 1 installment loan, 1 student loan pmnt)

My rent has been between $1500-1700/mo for years depending on which house I was in Smiley Happy

The biggie.....I have a massive student loan debt. I just got into an IBR and my payment is $190/mo. I also work for a 501c3 so I know that I qualify for public service loan fogiveness if I make 120 pmnts. If I am correct, the only way to go is Freddie Mac? Everyone else will use the 1% which would crush my DTI.

Only negatives on my credit are where I had trouble with my student loans, which I think should show up fine now and some car pmnt issues over a year ago but that vehicle is paid for now.

So....the question is should I even attempt to get a mortgage at this point? I don't want to go through it just to get denied, have my credit dinged and/or find out that I can only get approved for $125k (won't do me any good where I live).

Thanks for any advice...this is a great forum

Paul

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I even try or wait a while?

Anyone? Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I even try or wait a while?

Are the scores your mortgage scores? Or Fico 8? I would use an affordability calculator to see what you qualify for. I think the IBR payments can be used only if they show on the credit report otherwise they use 1% of your total loan amount. Great job rising those scores btw! But yeah maybe pull a 3B and see what's on the report and what your scores are. If alls good then heck ya go for it!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.