Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get another credit card before I apply for Mortgage

tag
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Should I get another credit card before I apply for Mortgage

I don't know if I should try and get another credit card before I apply for my mortgage or not.

My credit use to be a mess.  In the past 10 months I have taken it from 32 collections, 3 judgments, 2 tax leins and 2 student loans in default to......  Nothing negative.

I currently have 1 student loan reporting (all good)

VISA with $1000 limit and 7% balance reporting on EQ and EX

Victoria Secret $350 reporting for 1 month on all three with $2 balance

3 closed paid Student Loans with no negatives

I am financing through my credit union who has also issued my VISA.

My AAoA is 6.9yrs   My oldest account is 19 years (paid off student loan)

The house I am buying is one I have lived in for the past 13 years (my parents financed for me but I would like to get in my name now)

It is valued at $165,000   and I owe $95,000 on it

I will be going conventional and putting $5000 down and rolling all closing cost back in the loan

I make $42,000 a year and will be financing it with my soon-to-be husband who makes $33,000 a year - so we make $75,000 a year.  His credit is perfect with nothing negative but does have high utilization on 3 of his 4 credit cards - we are working on paying that down.

The problem is I know my credit file is very very thin.  I have a few inquires (TU - 2 both from Walmart - got denied as I still had negatives at time of applying).  EX - 3 - all from my credit union, and EQ 2 - one from Kohls that will be a year old in May and one from a store that ran my report last week for cashing a check!!! )

Should I app for a credit card?  Thinking maybe Discover IT or a Chase card.  Not sure of my scores right now.  Waiting for a Score Alert.  I was at 661 with EQ, EX 682 and TU 669 - but all of these were before the judgment and last 2 collections were removed and before my VISA limit increased to $1000 from $500.   I am sure I am going to be rebucketed so I have no clue of what to expect with my scores.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Should I get another credit card before I apply for Mortgage

If you are going to apply for a mortgage in the next 6 months then wait on apping for any new credit. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.