cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay my CC balance or keep the money in the bank for my closing?

tag
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

Should I pay my CC balance or keep the money in the bank for my closing?

I close in 12 days and have been living off of one CC for the last month. I didn't think about not using the CC throughout the process, I just didn't acquire new credit as suggested. My credit card is due on the 22nd, which I normally pay in full but I want to make sure that I have the money on hand in case I need it when I close on the 30th. But I know if my utilization shoots up to 70-80% that might cause some concern. I was thinking maybe I can pay the bill on the 22nd, wait until it reports and then take a cash advance to pull the money back out and put it in my account. I would pay it off mid-October so that isn't an issue. The process so far has been pretty smooth and they have only pulled my credit once, they didn't require any credit card statements and said they will only do a soft pull at closing but I don't know if the spike in utilization will be a problem. Or should I take my chances, and just pay the minimum, take the score hit and pay it off the next month?

Thank you for your help. 

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I pay my CC balance or keep the money in the bank for my closing?

I would definitely pay down to 10%, it could cause your fico scores to drop and then result to getting a higher interest rate. Just my opinion...
Message 2 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@newhouse2013 wrote:

I close in 12 days and have been living off of one CC for the last month. I didn't think about not using the CC throughout the process, I just didn't acquire new credit as suggested. My credit card is due on the 22nd, which I normally pay in full but I want to make sure that I have the money on hand in case I need it when I close on the 30th. But I know if my utilization shoots up to 70-80% that might cause some concern. no concern if your scores are still ok... I was thinking maybe I can pay the bill on the 22nd, wait until it reports and then take a cash advance to pull the money back out this would be a loan. and not allowed to be used for closing funds. are you short on the cash to close? and put it in my account. I would pay it off mid-October so that isn't an issue. The process so far has been pretty smooth and they have only pulled my credit once, they didn't require any credit card statements and said they will only do a soft pull at closing but I don't know if the spike in utilization will be a problem.
Or should I take my chances, and just pay the minimum, take the score hit and pay it off the next month? <= my recommendation

Thank you for your help. 

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 4
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@newhouse2013 wrote:

I close in 12 days and have been living off of one CC for the last month. I didn't think about not using the CC throughout the process, I just didn't acquire new credit as suggested. My credit card is due on the 22nd, which I normally pay in full but I want to make sure that I have the money on hand in case I need it when I close on the 30th. But I know if my utilization shoots up to 70-80% that might cause some concern. no concern if your scores are still ok... I was thinking maybe I can pay the bill on the 22nd, wait until it reports and then take a cash advance to pull the money back out this would be a loan. and not allowed to be used for closing funds. are you short on the cash to close? and put it in my account. I would pay it off mid-October so that isn't an issue. The process so far has been pretty smooth and they have only pulled my credit once, they didn't require any credit card statements and said they will only do a soft pull at closing but I don't know if the spike in utilization will be a problem.
Or should I take my chances, and just pay the minimum, take the score hit and pay it off the next month? <= my recommendation

Thank you for your help. 

Thank you, no I am not short on cash for closing but it's close. I wanted to make sure that I had a little extra in case I needed it. But I will pay my cc bill and leave a little extra in there. Hopefully my score won't go down too much.

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.