cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay two small collections before applying for morgage?

tag
newhomer

Should I pay two small collections before applying for morgage?

Hi all, I am planning on buying a house in 6 months. I have two small collections. One was verizon $132  and t-mobile $298 about 5 years ago. Long story short, it wasn't unintentionall not paying the bills, but unawared of the bills. Alot of people are telling me to leave it alone as it is going to hurt my report more than help. That's why I left it alone for the past two years. Current credit score are Transunion 720 Experian 710 Equifax 690. Should I pay the collections before applying for the loan? or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I pay two small collections before applying for morgage?

See if they will accept a PFD.
Message 2 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Leave them alone. If the u/w wants them paid it will be in your conditions. They seem too small to effect the u/w decision.  If you pay now it will tank your score unless you can do a pfd.

Message 3 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

leave them alone.....

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 8
newhomer

Thanks everyone,

I am going to try a Pay for Deletion. If that doesn't work, I will leave it alone. Another question is will the collections effect my interest rate? or do they go base on the credit score?

Message 5 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Interest rate is score driven on conventional loans. Not on FHA loans.

Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Interest rate is score driven on conventional loans. Not on FHA loans.

Some lenders still give breaks for higher scores for FHA loans, at least that is what I was told when I was shopping around.  It's not as differentiated as for conventional loans, but I was told I was getting a lower rate for having a mid-score above 720.  Maybe they were blowing smoke.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Be sure to "OPT OUT" before you start the mortgage process in case there are other lingering things out there. Google 'OPT OUT' but basically, it prevents collectors to know what you are doing with your credit.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.