Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I refi my investment property?

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Should I refi my investment property?

Now that I'm in a wait pattern for our new home to close, I've gotten bored and looking at other ways to save money.

In 2014, we converted our previous residence into a rental property.  With rates as low as they are, i'm wondering if we should refinance the house.  It's an FHA mortgage with 4% interest rate.  We are underwater on it, but was able to refi back in 2012 using the FHA Streamline refi program.

Your thoughts please.  Is it worth trying to refi?  I'm thinking we could possibly get an int rate lower than 4%, but i'm not sure if it will be worth it.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Should I refi my investment property?

is it worth the fees to you to drop the rate .25%?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

that's my thought as well.   I read up the on the MIP changes, and since we refi'd in 2012, we would be under the higher MIP rates.  Whatever we save in P&I would be negated by the MIP costs.

Like I said, I'm just bored.  there's nothing left for me do...credit is cleaned up where it's supposed to be, house is on schedule to close on time (in 45 days), there are no unreasonable UW conditions for me to gripe about, I can't use retail therapy to offset some of this boredom.  I've been wound up and stressed over this homebuying journey for years...now that it's finally coming to a close, I'm going through withdrawls!  Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

and, since we live less than 5 mins from the house we are buying, I drive past every day taking pictures of the changes and talking to the building manager.  I know he's sick of me.  

Message 4 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

lol....the next thing on your agenda could be decorating the new house!  Take a look at Houzz.com in the forum section for free decor tips...Be careful though, its one of those addictive sites Heart

PS - no I wouldn't refi your investment property. Make it work for you with the existing financing. If you feel like spending money pay down the principal a bit Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

i've been a member of houzz.com for over a year and have a bunch of ideas set up in my ideabooks.  ROFL

I've already picked out the refridgerator that I want, i have my eye set on a couple of sets of mattresses for our kids...just hoping and praying they are still available come 3/19.  Since our house will be wired for wireless and and LAN networking, i've also started looking for the best home entertainment set-up (i'm a techie and my DH is a music lover).

Really, i'm bored right now. I don't have issues i need to research. I need to learn how to relax.  I call my LO just to say hey and talk....all because i'm so use to talking with her.  I'm a sad case right now.Smiley Very Happy

Instead of using the extra money to pay down the principal, i'll just use it to pay cash for the new furniture.  LOL  We don't plan to keep the house anyway...hope to sell it as soon as our renter decides to leave.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you haven't closed yet, so if you're using a mortgage for the new house, you should refrain from poking your credit report with things like a refinance for the rental house.

Message 7 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

oh, i wasn't even considering doing anything before we closed. our credit is on lockdown!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.