cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I refinance FHA mortgage

tag
mkdelight

Should I refinance FHA mortgage

I was looking to refinance the mortgage to eliminate the mortgage insurance. Unfortunately, the appraisal came below 20%. The credit union is offering a FHA mortgage at a rate of 3.25%.

Current FHA mortgage at 5.375%

PRINCIPAL & INTEREST: $2,171.83  

ESCROW: $746.75 (which includes mortgage insurance of $159.83 per month)

TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT: $2,918.58

Current balance is $348,000.00

Refinance

FHA mortgage at a rate of 3.25%.

PRINCIPAL & INTEREST   $1,609.66  

ESCROW: $795.37 (which includes mortgage insurance of $240.12 per month)

TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT: $2,405.03

Estimate closing cost and prepaid costs will be about $12,000. This is without the mortgage insurance premium of $6361.25.

I’m not sure this is the right move. Let me know what you think.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I refinance FHA mortgage

@mkdelight wrote:

I was looking to refinance the mortgage to eliminate the mortgage insurance. Unfortunately, the appraisal came below 20%. The credit union is offering a FHA mortgage at a rate of 3.25%.

Refinance

Estimate closing cost and prepaid costs will be about $12,000. This is without the mortgage insurance premium of $6361.25.

^^^when did you obtain your current mortgage (month and year)?

The reason I am asking is because the FHA mortgage insurance monthly premium can be dropped off your mortgage when you have equity of 20% or more if your loan was originated (and received a case #) prior to June 3, 2013.  So you may not want to refi into another FHA mortgage if your mortgage was originated prior to MIP becoming permanent for the life of the loan.  In other words, if you refi into a FHA loan now, the monthly MIP is permanent for the life of the loan at 85 basis points. If your current loan was originated prior to permanent MIP, it might be best to just leave it be until you can drop the MIP or refi into a conventional loan. The exception would be if you have more than 10% equity when you refi into a new FHA loan - then you can drop the MIP after 11 years. Speak to a knowledgeable LO.

The value of your home could be different from what the appraiser indicated.  I work with appraisers all the time. If you have 10 appraisers come to your home to provide a professional report you could end up with 10 different values!  Some appraisers are better than others. If you have an active neighborhood, as far as recent similar sales are concered, then it is easier for the appraiser to come up with a more accurate valuation. If your neighborhood is stable - with very few sales, then it is not unusual for appraisers to differ substantially in value. 

Have you considered refinancing into a conventional loan? Have you considered refinancing with a mortgage banker rather than a CU?  I love CU's but not for mortgages (as a general rule).  Mortgage bankers have CU's beat by a mile in terms and rate IME. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkdelight wrote:

Refinance

What is your credit score? When was initial FHA loan originated? How much equity do you have right now?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you got your current mortgage before May 2009 then i would ask them about the Streamline option.  Your rate might be slightly higher than the 3.25% they are quoting you right now but you will get to keep the lower MI rate and the upfront MI will be a lot cheaper and not add as much to your loan.  (Mod Cut-Solicitation isnt allowed on this board please cease and desist)

Message 4 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

I wouldnt take the offer they are giving you - 

If the above cant be worked out go to a conventional loan the rate wont be 3.25% but with 20% equity you wont have any MIP

You should be able to get the PMI eliminated since you have the equity and time needed (based on the guidelines when you financed)

Good Luck

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 6
mkdelight

October 2009

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.