Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try to apply for an FHA loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I try to apply for an FHA loan?

Hello,

I have been reading these forums for awhile, thought it was time to register. My husband and I finally have a large enough down payment for a home of around $160-170K if we can get approved for an FHA loan. My history is as follows:

-Currently, my FICO score is 640 provided by my credit union each month for free.

-My husband's FICO is well over 700 (Equifax website is reporting 717, but I heard that it isn't the true FICO?).

-On my credit report is a repossesion of my car in 4/2006 with a charge off amount of about $3113.

-Capital One card charge off of $2993 from 3/2008, date of last payment 7/2007 (showing a balance of $4942 as of now). 

-One credit union visa card (unsecured) that we have diligently paid on time each month. Currently the balance sits below $20 with a credit limit of $500. As we have charged a few things each month, and then paid it off, I have watched my score increase from 610 to 640 in just a few months.

-Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (only me from a previous divorce) filed 12/2002, discharged 4/2003.

-Student loans by both my husband and I in deferrment for another 11 months for me and over 12 months for him.

-A car loan by Chase bank only on my husband's credit that we took out last August because our old car was totaled.

-I have been on my job for over a year, with a layoff for 11 months in 2010. I have been doing the same job (accounting) for several years prior to my layoff and still in accounting. My husband also remained constant in his same industry for years as well.

My credit union told me they accept the middle score of the lowest applicant for applying for a home, and the FICO score they provide to me is from Equifax which tends to be the lowest of the three scores. So, although I have the minimum score to possibly qualify us for a home loan, my questions are:

How will the charge offs possibly affect our chance of getting approved? I have read it is not wise to pay these off prior to applying for a home loan. It would also wipe out our down payment if we did so.

How will the deferred student loans affect how much we can qualify for if we can get the approval?

With the challenges on my credit, is it better to go with a 'big bank', or should I use my credit union?  Do credit unions offer more forgiveness and flexibility considering our situation?

We want to apply next month (mid February), but it would be nice to get some feedback from those with more knowledge of the industry before I get too excited. Both my husband and I have never lived in a home of our own (we are almost 40), and it sure would be our dream to own one soon.  Thank you for any advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I try to apply for an FHA loan?

I realize this might be a redundant question asked many times, but my main question I am hoping to have answered is what sort of bank should I try first at applying considering my general situation? A big bank has a lot of money to lend, but aren't credit unions generally more flexible? I know for a fact that my credit score is acceptable with my credit union, but could my credit disqualify me regardless of my score?

Message 2 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

-Currently, my FICO score is 640 provided by my credit union each month for free.   Do you know what your other scores are?

-My husband's FICO is well over 700 (Equifax website is reporting 717, but I heard that it isn't the true FICO?).  That is probably true.  There are a lot of FAKO scores out there.

-On my credit report is a repossesion of my car in 4/2006 with a charge off amount of about $3113.  The lender will probably require that you pay this off.

-Capital One card charge off of $2993 from 3/2008, date of last payment 7/2007 (showing a balance of $4942 as of now).   The lender will probably require that this pay this off.

-One credit union visa card (unsecured) that we have diligently paid on time each month. Currently the balance sits below $20 with a credit limit of $500. As we have charged a few things each month, and then paid it off, I have watched my score increase from 610 to 640 in just a few months.  Shouldn't be a problem.

-Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (only me from a previous divorce) filed 12/2002, discharged 4/2003.  Shouldn't be a problem.

-Student loans by both my husband and I in deferrment for another 11 months for me and over 12 months for him.  Lenders treat student loans differently.   You need to ask before you "apply".

-A car loan by Chase bank only on my husband's credit that we took out last August because our old car was totaled.  It will be considered as a debt payment in your DTI.

-I have been on my job for over a year, with a layoff for 11 months in 2010. I have been doing the same job (accounting) for several years prior to my layoff and still in accounting. My husband also remained constant in his same industry for years as well.  You may have to write a letter of explaination for the lay off.  

Are you able to, or willing to, pay off the Cap one card?  The car repo?

Message 3 of 6
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The unpaid repo and CO in and of themselves won't stop your loan but be prepared for them to be required to be paid.  You may want to look into settling them before applying.  Once you have the mortgage inquiry showing they are much less likely to negotiate.  Some lenders may not require them to be paid but given the size it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@boomhower wrote:

The unpaid repo and CO in and of themselves won't stop your loan but be prepared for them to be required to be paid.  You may want to look into settling them before applying.  Once you have the mortgage inquiry showing they are much less likely to negotiate.  Some lenders may not require them to be paid but given the size it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

+1

CU's are easier to qualify for a credit card and/or an auto loan. They are tougher IME for mortgage loans.

Try a mortgage banker/mortgage broker in your area. Make sure they actually fund the loans too. They are also called Correspondent Lenders.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

StartingOver10, thank you! This is the sort of advice I was hoping to find. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.