Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we pursue Refinance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should we pursue Refinance?

My husband and I are currently living in Bangalore, India for the next two years, and are renting our house while we are gone. We currently have a 30 year FHA loan at a fixed rate of 5.875%, and we bought the house for 132k in 2008.

Right now, we have two mortgages on the house, the original with a balance of 118k, and a second at 14k. Before we left for India, we attempted to sell the house for 145k, which would have had us come out even on the sale after closing costs, etc. For three months, we got almost no interest in the house, and not even one offer to buy. Smiley Sad We did however find a couple who wanted to rent the house for 1300/month and we expect they will stay the full two years.

So, on the house right now, we have a total of 132k loan balance, but I have no idea what the "market value" of the house is, as we did not get it appraised during our three month attempt to sell the house. We did get the realtor who sold us the house to run a comparables report, and she suggested we list the house for 132 (the same we paid in 2008, which is disgusting. But I digress)

I noticed the current mortgage rates are much lower than our current 5.875, and I was wondering whether it would be worth it to explore a refinance. We would need to keep the monthly payment + escrow below the 1300/month we are renting it for, since we don't have the money to pay anything extra. Our current payment + escrow is 1200/month. Our credit scores are in decent shape, with our FICO scores at 733 and 745.

So - would it be worth pursuing a refinance, and possibly rolling first and second mortgages into one with a lower interest rate? We plan on moving back into the house after our two year stint in Bangalore. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should we pursue Refinance?

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I are currently living in Bangalore, India for the next two years, and are renting our house while we are gone. We currently have a 30 year FHA loan at a fixed rate of 5.875%, and we bought the house for 132k in 2008.

Right now, we have two mortgages on the house, the original with a balance of 118k, and a second at 14k. Before we left for India, we attempted to sell the house for 145k, which would have had us come out even on the sale after closing costs, etc. For three months, we got almost no interest in the house, and not even one offer to buy. Smiley Sad We did however find a couple who wanted to rent the house for 1300/month and we expect they will stay the full two years.

So, on the house right now, we have a total of 132k loan balance, but I have no idea what the "market value" of the house is, as we did not get it appraised during our three month attempt to sell the house. We did get the realtor who sold us the house to run a comparables report, and she suggested we list the house for 132 (the same we paid in 2008, which is disgusting. But I digress)

I noticed the current mortgage rates are much lower than our current 5.875, and I was wondering whether it would be worth it to explore a refinance. We would need to keep the monthly payment + escrow below the 1300/month we are renting it for, since we don't have the money to pay anything extra. Our current payment + escrow is 1200/month. Our credit scores are in decent shape, with our FICO scores at 733 and 745.

So - would it be worth pursuing a refinance, and possibly rolling first and second mortgages into one with a lower interest rate? We plan on moving back into the house after our two year stint in Bangalore. Thanks.

In my opinion, it makes a lot of sense to try to refinance your home, since current interest rates are lower than your current rate.  However, your ability to refinance is going to be dependent on the appraised value of your home.

Was the second mortgage a purchase money loan?  Or was it taken out sometime after the purchase of the house?  If it is a non-purchase money loan, then I believe that combining the two loans would have to be treated as a cash-out refinance, which is subject to different loan-to-value limits.  I'm not sure about this - one of the mortgage professionals here would have better insight about this.

Message 2 of 5
gpeach
Regular Contributor

Re: Should we pursue Refinance?

What bank is your mortgage with? Call them first. Many banks have started programs where they are lowering interest rates or refinancing with little or NO cost to you. Being that you are out of the country and it is being rented out that is likely your best bet. And the best thing is also no apprasial needed.

Few things to consider if not going with current mortgage holder.

Appraisal - if value has dropped could limit options. 

Rental Property - some won't refinance investment property

Being out of Country - Would you be able to fly back from India to sign paperwork? If not then that may require you to find a notary or lawyer to finish paperwork.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The second mortgage was taken out three or so years after...

The second mortgage was taken out three or so years after the original. 

As to the question on flying back from India - we have plans to come back for the holiday season, and stay through January, so if we did this, it would probably be during that time frame.

Our loan is with Bank of Oklahoma mortgage, and as far as I know they aren't advertising refinance options - from what I've heard from other borrowers, they tend to shy away from refinancing in general, preferring new mortgages only.

I guess that's a big part of my question - would our house need to be appraised high enough that we had at least 20% equity?

Message 4 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The second mortgage was taken out three or so years after...

I wonder if you'd be able to do an FHA streamline refinance.  You'd only be able to refinance the original FHA loan, because cash-out refinances aren't allowed.  But I don't know whether that second loan is going to be an issue.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.