cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we take the Refi at 4.875% or try for a Loan Modification?

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should we take the Refi at 4.875% or try for a Loan Modification?

@Anonymous wrote:

I was reading the FAQS on the Making Home Affordable website and this particular paragraph is confusing to me:

"If you report a hardship, your servicer will: Apply a value test to determine if the cost of the modification (including the  government’s incentive payments) is less costly for the investor than not  modifying the loan (loans held by borrowers who have a lot of equity or  whose incomes are very low in relation to the value of their homes probably will not pass this value test)."

Questions concerning that statement:

• Would our particular loan be less or more costly than not modifying the loan? - Basically, in a modification the lender and the investor is going to lose income - you're going to be paying less interest than under the old terms of your loan.  The investor and the lender are going to try to minimize the amount that they will lose in your situation.  If you are in hardship and unable to pay the terms of your current mortgage, they are going to ask: what is the most profitable way out of this situation?  Should we 1) modify the loan and take the lower interest payments, or 2) refuse to modify the loan and let the borrower go into foreclosure.  In your case, the lender/investor might choose option 2, for a couple reasons.  First, they would have to cut your interest rate down to a very low rate in order for your PITI to drop below 31% of your gross income.  Second, they also know that if you default on your loan, they will probably recoup every last penny that you owe, because you have a substantial amount of equity.

• We DO have $111,000 of equity, which is 75% LTV. Is that considered "a lot of equity?" - I would have to say yes.  There are many people who are underwater by a few hundred thousand dollars.  The banks would lose money if they let those people go into foreclosures.

• Is our income "low in relation to the value of our home?" - Yes, your current income would probably be considered low for the value of your home and your current mortgage balance.  If you applied for a mortgage of $333,000 today, even if you had $111,000 for a down payment, you probably would have a 0% chance of being approved.

Would anything about what I've told you prevent us from being approved? - As discussed already, in theory you have the equity to refinance, though you don't seem to have the income to qualify.  But you also may not have the income to be approved for a modification either.  There are many people who have had modifications denied because of insufficient income, despite the fact that they had legitimate hardships that led to their loss of income.

Also, will our loan servicer be able to sell our loan to a servicer that is participating? Does it work that way, or would our current servicer have no say whatsoever in who buys our loan? - If it is a new servicer that is participating in Making Home Affordable, then you might be able to swing a modification, subject to the value test and other criteria.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! That's JUST the type of information I was looking for. Does DallasLoanGuy have anything else to add?
Message 12 of 19
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Last thing to add: visit the following website to read about how some people have requested and received loan modifications, under a variety of circumstances.

[Link removed; it had become increasingly commercial in the time since this was posted.]

Message Edited by Lel on 01-28-2010 12:54 PM
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Great, thanks again! Have a good day.
Message 14 of 19
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks so much! That's JUST the type of information I was looking for. Does DallasLoanGuy have anything else to add?
Lel spelled it out plainly. You can sell.... you aren't upside down(what these loan modifications are really for). That is a lot of equity!
I would think that a lender looking at your income and home value and equity would come to the same conclusion as I have.... sell and downsize.
These loan modifications are NOT a 'hand out'. They are a 'leg up' for people in a bind. You aren't in a bind.
 Also, would you still have these high debt ratios if hubby went back to work?
That loansafe link should be helpful.

Retired Lender
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I'm really grateful for is that now I can stop worrying about getting a loan modification and hope we get approved for our refi. Thanks DLG, I really appreciate your help.
Message 16 of 19
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What I'm really grateful for is that now I can stop worrying about getting a loan modification and hope we get approved for our refi. Thanks DLG, I really appreciate your help.
i just hope i wasnt too blunt. ;-) 

Retired Lender
Message 17 of 19
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

Blunt is what you do best!

Message 18 of 19
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Lel wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

Blunt is what you do best!

and i dont have to work on it

Retired Lender
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.