Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Mortgage after Bankruptcy

tag
ji9
Regular Contributor

Small Mortgage after Bankruptcy

We filed for CH13 BK in January 2009.  Converted to CH7 last year.  Discharge date was Sept. 11.   As far as our credit reports go they consider the BK to be over 3 years old, not sure about a mortgage company.  We are looking at buying a house in the $30-50K range.  Our annual income is around $95K.  Our credit scores are in the high 600-low 700 range.  What percentage do you think we might need to put down in order to get a loan for under $50K?   What type of lender might approve this?  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Small Mortgage after Bankruptcy

@ji9 wrote:

We filed for CH13 BK in January 2009.  Converted to CH7 last year.  Discharge date was Sept. 11.   As far as our credit reports go they consider the BK to be over 3 years old, not sure about a mortgage company.  We are looking at buying a house in the $30-50K range.  Our annual income is around $95K.  Our credit scores are in the high 600-low 700 range.  What percentage do you think we might need to put down in order to get a loan for under $50K?   What type of lender might approve this?  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Dischaged in Sept 2011?? You will not be able to get a mortgage from my understanding.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 6
Klesko
Regular Contributor

You will not be able to qualify for a mortgage until 2 years after BK discharge. 

However for that little amount you might be able to find a hard lender with enough down. I would go to your local credit union first and talk options with them.

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 3 of 6
ji9
Regular Contributor

I'm under the impression that with a large enough down payment you can get a mortgage at any time after bankruptcy. Trying to figure out exactly what percentage that down payment would need to be.  Hoping someone who has knowledge in this area will answer.  Thank you. 

Starting Score: 608 (TU) 612 (EQ)
Current Score: 679 (TU) 679 (EQ)
Goal: 760 on all
Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@ji9 wrote:

I'm under the impression that with a large enough down payment you can get a mortgage at any time after bankruptcy. Trying to figure out exactly what percentage that down payment would need to be.  Hoping someone who has knowledge in this area will answer.  Thank you. 

From my understanding, there is no amount you could put down to qualify under 2 years from dischage.

Also, mortgage companies don't give such small loans with large downpayments, it doesn't financially make sense to do so. 

I really think your only option is going to be another style loan. I am sure a loan officer will be around this evening to explain

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
01mommy
New Contributor

@ji9 wrote:

The 2 years from discharge is pretty standard...but the greater issue is the amount of mortgage funding you want.  I actually found something in that range and even at 52K, the MB said it would be virtually impossible to find traditional funding because it wasn't enough for banks to make money based on limits for fees.  If you have a considerable down payment (20%+), maybe a hard money or private investor might be able to help you.  Best of luck!  

EDIT:  This is only if your conversion is being reported as a separate filing from the Ch13...underwriting digs deep, but they may have the autonomy to give a green light if it's only the one public record, however, the mortgage amount presents a challenge in any case

Starting Score: 564 on 3/15/12
Current Score: 665 on 7/14/12
Goal Score: 675 by 9/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.