Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So annoyed!

People always seem to end up putting in offers at the exact same time. We put offers in on two homes that had been on the market a little while and both times ran into competitive offers that were just coming in...something fishy, it seems. Surely selling agents can't legally bluff about multiple offers, can they?
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not legally. But there's always some bad apples out there in any industry, looking for a way around the rules, and to profit most.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses, it makes me feel a little better Smiley Wink

We were definitely asked to "compete" for this house, that word exactly. My realtor read the email to me directly and she was annoyed as well.

An update...

They did not have an answer by noon as they said they would. The sellers agent claimed not to have received our agent's response with our increased offer and was waiting to hear back from her supposedly. Our agent resent our offered and made the SA confirm he received it this morning and said they would have a decision made by tonight. It feels like he's trying to buy time.

Either way, our original offer price was ammended but the rest remains the same... including the 48 hours we gave them to respond. If we have no word by 3pm tomorrow when the 48 hours is up we're going to RUN away from this deal! Sheesh, what happened to ethics in business?

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ladyofnight wrote:..Sheesh, what happened to ethics in business?

Alas, in every human endeavor, there are those that never had any, business or otherwise. Pre-Modernists (vs. Post-Modernists, ya know, who call it 'pragmatism'!) would call it the Fall of Man.

Message Edited by oldhack62 on 07-30-2009 07:00 PM
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We made an offer on a house at the end of June and gave them 24 hours to respond. 23 hours later, the selling agent called my agent and said the seller'd had a death in the family and was asking for another 24 hours. I agreed. Then my agent told me that the listing agent was expecting another offer. I was doubtful, of course, about the validity of the death in the family story. But whatever. Another 23 hours later we finally got word that they had rejected our offer and accepted the other one. I was very upset. We were expecting a counter, so to just get strung along while they waited for something better was irksome.

BUT...two weeks later I saw the house on the MLS listing again. The contract had fallen through. We submitted the exact same offer as before, received a reasonable counter that we accepted, and are now under contract. 

KARMA!!!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.