Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So close once again :( VA LOAN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So close once again :( VA LOAN

Why can't the process of buying a home when your self employed ever be easy!

The first lender that we were going through approved us but denied us after our one 30 day late mortgage payment we had. Because it was a VA loan, the lender said they could not over look it. So we went on to lender number 2 that was recommended by the builder. We were pre approved by that lender and started down the road of this process again. The last email we got was them asking us for a few things that were manageable and an audited profit and Loss since my husband owns his own company. We had our accountant give us the P&L. The P&L looked strong I thought everything was good until they asked for a CPA to sign the P&L. When I asked my accountant about that, they said that they were EA, not CPA. Now call me crazy for not knowing that there is a difference but it's not really my field and we have had this accountant for years now. We are a small company around 3 million. So this accounting firm has fit our needs well. Plus it will cost us 7k-10k to get a CPA to come in and it will take more than a month. Just not doable. 

Now I'm not sure if the underwriter from this lender will accept the P&L from an EA accountant. I'm so upset. We are supposed to close this friday Smiley Sad

Has anyone ever experience this? Anyone think my chances are good and they will accept an unaudited P&L. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
deg757
Regular Contributor

Re: So close once again :( VA LOAN

What your accountant has been giving you is most likely compiled financial statements which offer no assurance to the bank as to their correctness or completeness. All that compiled statements require are that he take the numbers you give him and put them in financial statement format. No work other than that is required. Most likely your accountant does things like bank reconciliations to make sure bank balances agree to the numbers you gave him. An audit vouches for every significant number reporting on the financial statements which provides significantly more assurance to the bank and the CPA is taking responsibility for those numbers. Audits are very costly and take a long time due to the amount of work that is involved.

If the bank will not accept the financial statements that you have been given by your accountant, ask them if they would accept reviewed financial statements. A review offers less assurance and must be performed by an independent CPA but costs less and takes less time. The difference between a review and an audit is that the financial statements are subjected to less testing. The CPA uses analytical procedures and inquiries of the owners and management to vouch the numbers. Maybe the bank would accept that instead.

Hope it works out for you.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 2 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

ch21 - please let us know if they do accept that.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The underwriter did accept our P&L being completed by an EA. Thank god! It's been such a ride. Now they are only waiting for our current mortgage verification to come through. Which i know that we have one 30 day late payment. It was the month that my husband and I got married so it was clearly an oversight. This was the reason why we got denied by the first lender and we did mention this to the current mortgage broker before starting with this new lender. I've checked all VA guidelines and it only states that we would need an explanation for anything over one 30 day late. Crossing my fingers that this isn't going to be an issue and we can close next week. 

Message 4 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Fingers crossed for you!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

Hello..Just wanted to say I'm also self employed, and I feel your pain. LOL here I thought all they would do is look over my 1040s my YTD P&L and I'd be good, but oh no they want all kinds of other stuff too. Stressful but hopefully it's worth it in the end. Hang in there I'm hoping to close on 10/24 but as of right now still in underwriting. 

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.