Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source of funds for a down payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Source of funds for a down payment?

I have been told this comes under some scrutiny. Here's my situation: My husband has "poor" credit and is a stay at home dad with some side work (unreliable income). I have "fair" credit and work full-time (reliable income). The LO I initially spoke with said there was no reason to put him on the loan since his sporadic income wouldn't outweigh the negatives of his FICO.

He received a fantastic opportunity for a short-term project which will be funding a portion of our down payment, basically taking us from the required 3.5% to nearly 7% (goal of a $175,000 home).  

Since my husband will not be on the loan, will the source of the funds be a problem? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Source of funds for a down payment?

I'm in Illinois, in case that matters for community property purposes.

Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Source of funds for a down payment?

Down payment funds from spouse should be no problem at all ... even if that spouse is not on the mortgage application. Worst case the funds can be a "gift". Let your LO guide you on documentation requirement for the funds.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.