Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcing deposits

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Sourcing deposits

We are planning to apply for a mortgage in the next couple months.  I will be on the loan by myself as my credit is better.  I know we can't use my wife's income if she is not on the loan, but can we use her savings account for downpayment or reserves?  Or will I need to have her give that to me now to put in my account so that it's been in the account for a couple months by the time we apply?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sourcing deposits

First, congrats on your score improvements!

I think it varies somewhat by lender, but I think you should be fine using funds for downpayment from your wife, worse case scenario you'll need documentation that it's a gift and you're not required to pay it back.

Message 2 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

If it were me, I would open a bank account in your name only and have her deposit the funds into that account asap.

It just keeps things easy and simple.

If you can do regular deposits into the account, that helps too.

Message 3 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Thanks.  I do have a separate account in my name that I deposit to regularly.  She just has some additional money in her account.  I'll probably just transfer the money from her account to mine because there doesn't seem to be a downside and it potentially eliminates additional questions.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Sounds like a good plan!

Remember, the more KISS you can do, the better!  Smiley Happy

KISS - keep it simple simon

Message 5 of 7
lpayton
Regular Contributor

In the Marines, we say, "Keep it Simple, Stupid."  I like "Simon" better though hehehe...

Message 6 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

lol - I thought it was nice NOT to say stupid, although that is how I learned the phrase too!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.