cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse Authorization Not Needed?

tag
JMomz85

Spouse Authorization Not Needed?

Hey everybody!  I'll try to make this as short as possible.  My husband and I are currently in the process of rebuilding our credit so that we can look into buying by the end of 2016.  My husband told his cousin of our plans, and he (the cousin) passed my husband's information along to a realtor, who then passed the information on to a loan officer.  I told my husband that he can pull his own mortgage scores on here so that an inquiry doesn't show up.  He just wanted to have someone look at his information to see what would be the best way to increase his scores.  Thanks to MyFICO, I already know what my Mortgage Score currently is and how to improve it.

Well, on Friday, the loan officer called.  According to my husband, he pulled his information.  Since my husband and I have a joint account there, the loan officer pulled my information also and he ran my credit without my authorization!  I never talked to the loan officer...until he finally answered my call on today.  I told him that I want the inquiry removed from my credit report since he never spoke to me.  He said that in SC, he doesn't need both spouses to authorize a credit inquiry if it's a joint application.  I've never heard of that in my life!  

I do plan on disputing the inquiries with the CBs, but I was just wondering if anyone knows whether his statement is true or not.  I've been researching it, but I'm unable to find anything.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Spouse Authorization Not Needed?

I don't know the answer, but it doesn't even sound like you submitted an application with them. I'd be pissed.

Message 2 of 11
JMomz85

Very much so mynameainttracy!!!!!  I even asked the LO for the legal statute where I can validate his statement, and his response was that he's been doing this for over 15 years.  I had to hang up before I cursed him out.

Message 3 of 11
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Is he at least going to be helpful in advising your husband to get his scores up?

Message 4 of 11
JMomz85

Nothing that I thought was extremely beneficial.  My husband's only major derogs are medical bills and a collection account from an apartment complex from over 3 years ago.  My husband is already disputing the apartment complex information because he never received anything from them regarding the charges when he moved out.  The LO didn't mention the apartment collection and told him not to worry too much about the medical because with the updated credit laws, they won't really matter.  I found that informatin to be a bit confusing, considering I'm under the impression that mortgage lenders probably won't be using FICO9 scoring for quite a while.  And I told him he still should pay the accounts, especially since the doctor officers may pull the information back from the CA if he pays them directly.

Message 5 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

How did he get your ss #? Have you seen a copy of the trimerge report that the LO pulled? Have you called any of the credit bureaus and ask about joint accounts and how they are handled by the credit bureaus? There are too many unknowns for me to render an opinion. All that I know is that you are angry about the pull. My opinion is that the credit bureau is the first to call if you or your husband did not provide your ss # to the LO.

Message 6 of 11
JMomz85

Hi ezdriver.  I'm not sure what a trimerge report is.  I have no idea what the LO pulled.  He asked my husband for his last 4, then pulled up our checking account information.  Since I'm also on the checking account, that's how the LO received my information as well.

Definitely was upset about the pull, and I'm in contact with the CBs.  I'm just trying to see if anyone knows whether what the LO said is true - that he doesn't need authorization from the other spouse in order to run a joint mortgage application in the state of SC.

Message 7 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@JMomz85 wrote:

Hi ezdriver.  I'm not sure what a trimerge report is.  I have no idea what the LO pulled.  He asked my husband for his last 4, then pulled up our checking account information.  Since I'm also on the checking account, that's how the LO received my information as well.

Definitely was upset about the pull, and I'm in contact with the CBs.  I'm just trying to see if anyone knows whether what the LO said is true - that he doesn't need authorization from the other spouse in order to run a joint mortgage application in the state of SC.

I doubt that what he claims is true - even in South Carolina you have to have the permission of the applicant to pull credit.

What I think he may have done is get your SS #'s from your joint checking which is a 'no no'. He sounds like he is relying on your husband to work things out with you.  I would call his manager and have a stearn discussion on what authority the LO had and did not have for pulling credit.

Message 8 of 11
JMomz85

Thanks, Starting)ver10.  That's what I'm thinking also, but I didn't know if I was missing something or not.  I'm just trying to learn as much as possible so that I'm knowledgeable when we do decide to submit an application.  My husband was finally able to talk to the supervisor late this afternoon.  He said he was going to look into the situation and give my husband a call back on tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the input!!!

Message 9 of 11
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@JMomz85 wrote:

Thanks, Starting)ver10.  That's what I'm thinking also, but I didn't know if I was missing something or not.  I'm just trying to learn as much as possible so that I'm knowledgeable when we do decide to submit an application.  My husband was finally able to talk to the supervisor late this afternoon.  He said he was going to look into the situation and give my husband a call back on tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the input!!!

A trimerge report is what the lender-pulled credit report is called. That report merges the information from all three credit bureaus into a single report.

You need to demand a copy of that report and dump that LO if you are refused a copy.

Also, why are you allowing your husband and loan officer to have conversations without your presence? Get involved else you will be sorry. Tell your husband to get with the program and work with you as a team. We can give good advice here about technical matters but you have to decide if you want to take control of the situation or be on the sideline while your husband and loan officer do their thing.

I have never heard of a loan officer having the ability to retrieve one's ss # from anyone's banking information as that would be a violation on the bank's part. I'm betting that your husband gave him your ss# in some way shape or form.

All the best to you and I hope that it all works out in your favor.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.