Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse Credit Check for FHA/USDA Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spouse Credit Check for FHA/USDA Loan

My wife and I are currently under contract to buy a house.  We're probably going to go USDA (because we can), but there is a possibility we may go FHA (if for whatever reason, we can't go USDA).  My wife will not be on the mortgage, but will be on the title.  Will her credit be checked at any point?

She currently has government student loans in default, but are nearly complete with rehab (because of timing, the tenth payments will be made this month and the rehab will be complete this month also).  Could this prevent us from getting the house?  There is another loan that I believe is a Perkins loan that no payments have been made on (ever), but they are not reporting as in default, just 120 days past due.  Could this prevent us from getting a house?

Since we are already under contract, please let me know as soon as possible, or if I should ask our mortgage broker.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Spouse Credit Check for FHA/USDA Loan

My MB said there will be no need for my wife's credit to be pulled.  Ever.  I sure hope he's right....
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife and I live in a community state, therefore they checked her credit as well.  She has student loads, and they were adiment about including her debt unless we could provide documentation stating defement of 12 months.  Your MB should know, if he says they wont then they shouldn't.  But, I was under the assumption applying for any Government loan the spouses debt is inclusive.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you reply.  It may be different in our situation, as PA is not a community property state.

Her INCOME will be taken into account for USDA income guidelines, but nothing else (so I've been told...)

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best of luck Mike14 in your home purchasing endevor.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.