Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse with poor credit

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Spouse with poor credit

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can link a good forum post or article related to mortgages when one spouse has bad credit that contains as much detail and info as possible.  My credit is good enough, but my wife's is in poor shape.  Her student line debt has been managed well, but her credit card situation is horrible.  No collections though.  In any case, I wanted to start preparing for this now since we are aiming for a house in about 12 months.  I just want to know everything I shoud know.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
djacks
Valued Member

Re: Spouse with poor credit

We did an FHA streamline refinance, but we had to leave off one of the coborrowers of the original loan who had bad credit.

Message 2 of 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Spouse with poor credit

If you truly have a year before you apply for the mortgage then your focus should be in the rebuilding forum to see what you can do about improving her credit situation. As long as the credit cards haven't gone to collection there is always a chance to goodwill late payments or resolve high utilization.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.