cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouses Scores and collateral for Mortgage...

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Spouses Scores and collateral for Mortgage...

Two questions:

1. When people say that you need a middle score of 620 does that mean for each applicant?

2. Does having collateral, such as the property, that is worth a majority of the mortgage mean they will be less picky on the score requirements?

Thanks in advance.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
PRC
New Contributor

Re: Spouses Scores and collateral for Mortgage...

@KeithW wrote:

Two questions:

1. When people say that you need a middle score of 620 does that mean for each applicant? Yes if they say they want a middle score of 620 both will have to have it.

2. Does having collateral, such as the property, that is worth a majority of the mortgage mean they will be less picky on the score requirements? Not sure about this one but I would guess it will be an extra added benefit when reviewing your history.  Not sure if it will change the score requirements though.

Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

The score is what gets you in the door. Having the collateral is a good thing for underwriting, but if you don't have the minimum scores, then your file will never get to underwriting.

What can you do to get your scores up?
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 4
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

We are hoping to have our scores up by next Spring. My scores aren't too bad and paying down my credit cards should give me a decent boost. My wifes on the other hand is going to need some work. She has an active judgement against her for $3500 by the local hostpital and she keeps her credit cards near the limit, which isn't very high. Hoping that paying them off and taking care of her judgement will help her score considerably. She is down around 550.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.