cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting my journey

tag
Fendral

Starting my journey

So I took step 1 on my journey of eliminating my hour long daily commute, and wen't into my credit union today for formal preapproval.

Brought all the needed paperwork with me, but the loan officer had to send my package out for underwriter approval since I had gaps in employment.

FICO was ~750, and put in for preapproval up to 150k, which is the list price of the more expensive of the two homes I am looking at, however my primary pick from listings is closer to 120k

Just had an end of the year raise, and showing 3 raises since I started in May can't hurt my position any.  With the newest raise I am just under 36% DTI for 150k and closer to 32% on the 120k including PITI+PMI

My only worry is that I was in school prior to this position, after being laid off at the end of 2011.  Started school up in May 2012 as that was the earliest that enrollment could get me started.  Its all been in the same field with a steady increase in pay since 2009, but that 5 month gap of nothing and then 12 months as a full time student  where my only income was UI is worrysome.

Only other thing is upfront costs, hopefully I can get the seller to cough something up, as they want 14 months of prepaid taxes, which hikes my closing from 4.5k + 5% to almost 9k + 5%.  Guess im not spending any money for a while.  Hopefully they will look at my income and expenses and see that the 14k I already have earmarked for this can grow by the time closing comes around for the preapproval.

Sucks that they had to send it out, since I am visiting my prime pick with my realtor tomorrow afternoon, but if it does come through underwriting It should be a stronger preapproval than something just from the loan officer.  I'm thinking it would be better to wait on approval so that I can put in a stronger offer.

Told I should hear back from the CU early next week.  With it being so stressful waiting for that to come through, It's going to be interesting when I am waiting on a offer to come back later, and I can't even imagine the real underwriting after that.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Starting my journey

Message 2 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Fendral wrote:

So I took step 1 on my journey of eliminating my hour long daily commute, and wen't into my credit union today for formal preapproval.

Brought all the needed paperwork with me, but the loan officer had to send my package out for underwriter approval since I had gaps in employment.

FICO was ~750, and put in for preapproval up to 150k, which is the list price of the more expensive of the two homes I am looking at, however my primary pick from listings is closer to 120k

Just had an end of the year raise, and showing 3 raises since I started in May can't hurt my position any.  With the newest raise I am just under 36% DTI for 150k and closer to 32% on the 120k including PITI+PMI

My only worry is that I was in school prior to this position, after being laid off at the end of 2011.  Started school up in May 2012 as that was the earliest that enrollment could get me started.  Its all been in the same field with a steady increase in pay since 2009, but that 5 month gap of nothing and then 12 months as a full time student  where my only income was UI is worrysome.

Only other thing is upfront costs, hopefully I can get the seller to cough something up, as they want 14 months of prepaid taxes (seller credit you their portion of the taxes. lender can only collect about 3 months taxes in reserves by law. your loan officer messed up) , which hikes my closing from 4.5k + 5% to almost 9k + 5%.  Guess im not spending any money for a while.  Hopefully they will look at my income and expenses and see that the 14k I already have earmarked for this can grow by the time closing comes around for the preapproval.

Sucks that they had to send it out, since I am visiting my prime pick with my realtor tomorrow afternoon, but if it does come through underwriting It should be a stronger preapproval than something just from the loan officer.  I'm thinking it would be better to wait on approval so that I can put in a stronger offer.

Told I should hear back from the CU early next week.  With it being so stressful waiting for that to come through, It's going to be interesting when I am waiting on a offer to come back later, and I can't even imagine the real underwriting after that.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 6
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Mine is 14 months of insurance and 6 months taxes.
Message 4 of 6
Fendral

Well, things moved fast.

Looked at 3 houses yesterday, fell in love with one of them.  1100sqft ranch with detached huge 1 car garage.  Brand new construction that has never been lived in.

Placed an offer that was verbally countered at just about what I was expecting it to be

Just waiting on the paperwork to come through with the counter offer then its on.

Message 5 of 6
Fendral

Haven't updated in a while.  Here is how things have turned out.

Had the signed counter on 12/30 and went to my lender for the formal application, My LO wanted to send in my file to go through underwriting before submitting the final application since I had an employment gap, she was 99% sure they would have no problems with it, but didnt want me to be out the $600 in upfront costs if they did.

The only contingiencies on the contract were financing, inspection, and radon

Home inspection was on 1/3 and came back really clean.  The house is new construction and the inspectors said that the builder did a really great job.  Was the cleanest report that they have issued in 10 years.  The only issue that they could find at all was there are no gutters on the detached garage, but that was being nitpicky.

Radon test also came back at under 2 pC/L so we were good there.

Underwriters approved my file, and I went back into the bank on 1/7 to submit the formal application and to get the appraisal ordered.

Appraisal was on 1/15 and we got the report back on 1/23 that it was appraised at 1k above contract price, so we were good there.

I got my committment letter on 1/24 with the only contingency being a septic dye test.  However the house is in the northeast, with frozen ground, and has been vacant since it was built ~14 month ago so nobody is willing to do the test.

The bank agreed to have the seller hold the funds required for a complete septic replacement in escrow until it can be inspected.  Luckally the seller agreed, becuse this is holding almost 10k back from the seller for at least 30 days.

Once the escrow agreement is drawn up by our lawyers, I should hopefully get a Clear to Close.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.