Parent

State tax liens

Can state tax liens showing on credit report from 2006 stop you from qualifying for a mortgage?  Will they affect a VA loan?

Regular Contributor
wanttomove

Re: State tax liens

Are you in the process of paying them? Do you have a payment plan set up? I believe that any judgment or lien on a credit report or found during title search needs to be settled before you can get approved for any mortgage.

[ Edited ]

I had a SC tax lien for $173 from 1994 showing only on one credit report hold up my VA Loan preapproval. I had already taken care of this lien back in '94 but in order to move forward I had to have proof of satisfied lien even though the reporting credit agency agreed to remove because of age and amount of loan. Many phone calls later I had them e-mail me a copy. So from my experience I would say you need to address these liens before going forward with a mortgage.

Contributor
vlaw1084

Definitely before you can close the state lien needs to be addressed on a VA loan. They will want to see a payment plan set up if it has not been paid in full and that you have been paying on that lien.

Parent

thank you for responding to my question. your answer helps me out a lot.

Parent

I am in the process of coming to an agreement with the tax agency. All of your answers answered my question. I now know what to expect and what to do.

dlr4338

[ Edited ]

I have a  satisfied state lien showing on my credit report and although it is paid/satisfied/released it remains on my Equifax credit report.  The bureau told me I have to wait for it to fall off but the other two CB's removed it.  Any ideas?  I wanted this to come off before I apply for a home loan.

TU: 587 Apr 2010 EQ: 585 Apr 2010 EX:572 Apr 2010
TU:702 Oct 2012 EQ: 669 Oct 2012 EX: 700 Oct 2012
Valued Member
rinkgirl2

dlr4338 - How did you get the bureaus to remove it from your report?  We have a paid state tax lien and I'm wondering if there's any way to get rid of it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}