Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step One? (Home Buying)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Step One? (Home Buying)

So... I have all my information in order, a decent credit score along with a good salary.  What's the first step I should take into getting a mortgage? 

Would it be setting up an appointment with a lender to go over some pre-qualification material?  I wouldn't mind printing up my current report and meeting with someone without doing a hard pull.  I'm not 100% sure on the timeframe of the purchase (most likely by Spring 2010).  Should I wait until winter to look into this further?

For an FHA loan... do I need to setup an appointment with a contact through my state's site?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Step One? (Home Buying)

Is there a specific reason for waiting (saving for downpayment or something of the like)?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

For instance, the FHA maximum loan amount will be based off your current salary so I'm expecting a good-sized raise most likely around the January timeframe.  A bonus will also be possible around that time and will provide more time to save for a down payment.  I'm just assuming waiting for that + saving all the while would be the best approach here.

I also receive a decent tax return as well which would be geared to receive around the February since I'm quick to file.

Message Edited by Cyan007 on 08-11-2009 11:03 AM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to talk to someone now without having a hard pull.

When I first started thinking of buying I talked to a Broker, gave all my information and credit scores etc. and she gave me a max loan amount.

When I actually applied (with somone else) I was approved for $20K more than the person thought I might once she saw my strong credit history.

So yes, you should be able to talk to someone without a hard pull and get a good idea of what price range to look at.

Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Step 1

Contact a loan officer who works for a lender that is FHA approved.

Get referred to a loan officer by friends/relatives/coworkers/ect

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.