Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticky situation regarding cc and trying to get a home loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sticky situation regarding cc and trying to get a home loan

Ok we are trying again in Jan to get a home loan ( you gotta give me credit for not giving up! LOL!). Anyways we found out this week that one of our cc got closed do to them not offering that product anymore. We still have a balance that I can pay off by the end of next month. We are frantic because we can not afford to lose any pts.I found this article that stated:

If you have a balance on the account when it's closed, the score will include the limit and balance on the closed account in the utilization calculation. As you pay down the balance your score might improve until the balance gets to zero. "In terms of the impact to your score, you could actually lower your score once the paid-off, closed account hits zero," says Fair Isaac's Paperno. That's because once it's paid off, the credit limit no longer gets factored into the utilization ratio.

So would I be best to pay down all but 10.00 in hopes to keep score up until loan goes through...but I do not know how this is all going to look to the underwriter....I guess I would have to explain that they closed the account and why, but will it be bad to have a balance on a closed account? The credit card is only a year old....I just need some advice from someone who knows about mortgages. We have been working so hard to try to get a mortgage and I am hoping this won't kill us when it all hits the credit report. I am hoping we do not lose our credit history with this card because we were perfect with it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: Sticky situation regarding cc and trying to get a home loan

Well, if they closed the account, then I think paying it off would be best. It will STILL be on your CR's, but not as an active (open) account.This should be easy to explain to an underwriter since they dropped the card. The other issue is now you do not have that as an active tradeline.

Other than that...I can't tell you much. I'll let others come along and add their thoughts as well.  Smiley Happy

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sticky situation regarding cc and trying to get a home loan

Hi Wildcat. I'm in the same boat as you with the Tribute/Imagine card issue. I have my closing scheduled for Oct. 15, and I'm a bit nervous about this as well. But, as of today, they haven't reported the accout as closed. I'm not sure when they will. Right now it's reporting open/ $0 balance (which is not the case, as I do owe them about $200). My credit score went up about 25 points. I don't know the ramifications of this card closing. I haven't discussed this issue with my loan officer, but I will on Monday to see what her take on the situation is.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.