Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still unclear on reserves

tag
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Still unclear on reserves

I believe for FHA they require 2 months reserves. Is that actual cash needed at closing or can we submit 401K papers showing we have that much avaalble if needed? I am trying to figure out a ball park figure of what we'd need in cash at closing.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Still unclear on reserves

401k available funds are considered reserves.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

Thank you! I am getting encouraged that we might actually apply this year instead of next.

Message 3 of 10
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

I was told by a local mortgage broker last weekend that they would count up to 70% of my 401K in the reserve calculation.   Just tossing that out there.

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 4 of 10
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

You are correct. When I say available, I mean what can be pulled out of 401k. Usually, you can only withdraw a certain %age.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
You are correct. When I say available, I mean what can be pulled out of 401k. Usually, you can only withdraw a certain %age.

Thanks again. We should still be fine as we have plenty in the 401K for this.

Message 6 of 10
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

What exactly is the reserves needed for? Can someone explain?
11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Reserves are basically the amount liquid assets you have on hand to pay mortgage in case of financial hardship.
Message 8 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

FHA does not require reserves unless the loan is being manually underwritten (which is typically due to very low scores or major derogatories in the file), unless something has changed recently. It is typically only 1 month required. The amount allowed from 401k is 60%. See http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=14-02ml.pdf

Message 9 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:

FHA does not require reserves unless the loan is being manually underwritten (which is typically due to very low scores or major derogatories in the file), unless something has changed recently. It is typically only 1 month required. The amount allowed from 401k is 60%. See http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=14-02ml.pdf

Thanks again. I Checked our 401K documents and we can take money our for harship such as foreclosure. We have enough to cover any taxes on the W/D ( if needed) so we should be fine as far as reserves.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.