Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still waiting on $8000 tax credit nothing yet filed amendment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still waiting on $8000 tax credit nothing yet filed amendment

I've been taking notes on this so that I'll know what to do, after I close, to get my whopping 8 grand check :-)

Question: I file my own taxes. No itemizing for 2008, just standard deductions. Is the Amendment something that I can do on my own as well, or is it better to pay a tax professional to do it? It sounds pretty simple, but I'm just wondering.

Thanx!

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too am still waiting on the 8K. IRS received our amendement April 10th (before we even moved in the new house) and i was told it it was being "processed" and could take anywhere between 30-180 days for them to finish, and send out!!! The guy i talked to before the holiday weekend told me to call back on Friday and they should be able to tell me how much it would be for....i assumed it was a guarantee 8k if you were under the yrly bracket quoted (which i am, i make way less than that. hahahaha). So i didn't call Friday i waited until Monday and that's when the lady told me it would take awhile. I'm coming up on 3 months this Friday and i have no clue when it will be "finished" or mailed out. Has anyone waited longer than 3 months to get their check?
Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be doing that soon when I close in October.  Do you actually receive $8000 or is that just a credit?  I plan on filing an amended return. That $8k will be handy because I plan on using it to pay off the balance of my car loan!  Smiley Happy  Good luck to everyone.
Message 13 of 44
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll be doing that soon when I close in October.  Do you actually receive $8000 or is that just a credit?  I plan on filing an amended return. That $8k will be handy because I plan on using it to pay off the balance of my car loan!  Smiley Happy  Good luck to everyone.

It will actually be $8K unless you owe taxes. If that is the case, the back taxes would be held out and you will get the remainder.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 14 of 44
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I too am still waiting on the 8K. IRS received our amendement April 10th (before we even moved in the new house) and i was told it it was being "processed" and could take anywhere between 30-180 days for them to finish, and send out!!! The guy i talked to before the holiday weekend told me to call back on Friday and they should be able to tell me how much it would be for....i assumed it was a guarantee 8k if you were under the yrly bracket quoted (which i am, i make way less than that. hahahaha). So i didn't call Friday i waited until Monday and that's when the lady told me it would take awhile. I'm coming up on 3 months this Friday and i have no clue when it will be "finished" or mailed out. Has anyone waited longer than 3 months to get their check?

Everytime my DH calls, he gets a different person and a different answer! I would just call again and try to check again.

Kathy

Message 15 of 44
ECHOBOI4U
New Contributor

We closed Jan 9th, 2009.  Filed for the $7500 tax credit Jan 26th (before the changes took effect) and got it in mid Feb in our account.  Then we got notice that it went up to $8000 and payback clause eliminated if bouth after Jan 1st 2009.  We qualified for $500 more.  We did as instructed and sent it in in Mid March 2009. We got the green recetrun recipt back from Fresno, CA and waited.  We called them in laste Aprile and they claimed they never got it (not in their system).  i argued with them and they said to send another 1040X for the $500.  We sent another 1040X to them in early May 2009 and still have not received our money.  I called and they said that they see it as recieved in June (huh?) but there is no more info on it yet.  I asked her if I owed the IRS money, could I tell them that I simply had "no information" or lost my "W2" so they would have to wait to get their money with no penalties or extra taxes.  She laughed and said, "no I guess it only works one way in that sense."  I found it funny that I got an IRS agent to laugh, but we really would like our money owed to us by the government.  The tax incentive IS a great feeling once you get it.  Glad to finally own a home.  Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

i close in October too and thought about just waiting until january to file. but seeing how long it's taking some to receive their $8K, don't think I'll be waiting for anything except keys in my hand! Smiley Wink
Message 17 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WannaHouse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It will actually be $8K unless you owe taxes. If that is the case, the back taxes would be held out and you will get the remainder.

Or in my case....I had already paid my taxes and now I get all that money back!  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 44
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i close in October too and thought about just waiting until january to file. but seeing how long it's taking some to receive their $8K, don't think I'll be waiting for anything except keys in my hand! Smiley Wink

I THINK if you wait, and file it on your 2010 returns, it would be much easier and also faster. With the amended returns, I assume they have to get your 2008 returns up and make sure all is good, before they will send you SQUAT!  Smiley Happy

WTG UpUpUp!!  Smiley Happy

Kathy

Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

So yea IM on the phone with IRS.....It will be full 8 weeks, at the end of this week..Still nothing....He says they have changed it to 12-16 weeks now, because there so swamped.....

And the wait continues

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.