Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still waiting on clear to close. REALLY STRESSING

tag
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

Still waiting on clear to close. REALLY STRESSING

So I am scheduled to close on the 19th and still have not gotten the clear to close. Both the builder and the loan officer said I should schedule my utilities to be transfered for that day. Is this normal that an underwriter drags their feet for 10 days (sent everything on 2/4) after the final conditions were satisfied. I am really begining to stress over this. I did see they pulled credit again which is fine since every single one of my cards is reporting a 0 balance now as opposed to 85% reporting 0 when they pulled credit the first time. 

Is it normal for the loan officer to tell you everything is ok only to waylay you at the last minute?

Current Scores 738 EQ (FICO 02/15) 745 EX (Lender Pull FICO) 768 TU (FICO 02/15)

4% Utilization on 180k Total Available Creditlines

AMEX Platinum - NPSL, AMEX HH - 2.5k, BofA Travel Rewards - 25K, BofA 123 Cash Rewards - 15K, BofA Amex - 15K, Barclay Black Card - 10K, Chase United Club - 9.6K, Chase Sapphire Preferred - 14k, Discover More - 7.5K, Citi Presitge - 20K, Nationwide Bank - 7.5K, Dillard's - 5K, JCP MasterCard - 12K, Capital One Venture - 3K, Capital One Quicksilver - 10k, Wells Fargo - 6K, Lowe's - 10K,
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still waiting on clear to close. REALLY STRESSING

I don't think they would've pulled your credit again unless you were pretty well good to go.  If anything, you have an LO who doesn't give you enough answers.  I'd apply a little pressure and ask that they tell you a little more about where exaclty you are in the process.

My 2 cents, but from the sounds of things you are just about there!  The closer you get to closing, the easier it is for inocuous things to seem threatening.  Most LO probably won't advise you to transfer utilities unless they're fairly positive your loan is going to close.  =)  Congrats, my friend.

Message 2 of 42
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

No personal experience but from what I've seen over time, it seems pretty normal that loan officers/lenders wait until the very last minute to give the clear to close...I don't think I've ever seen one come in 5 or 10 days ahead, always seems to be 2-3 days before at most. I don't know why either, just seems like one off those things that's done in the industry. 

Message 3 of 42
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think they would've pulled your credit again unless you were pretty well good to go.  If anything, you have an LO who doesn't give you enough answers.  I'd apply a little pressure and ask that they tell you a little more about where exaclty you are in the process.

My 2 cents, but from the sounds of things you are just about there!  The closer you get to closing, the easier it is for inocuous things to seem threatening.  Most LO probably won't advise you to transfer utilities unless they're fairly positive your loan is going to close.  =)  Congrats, my friend.

Thanks I am pretty sure it is just the stress of this whole process making me panic. Its hard because my fiance is not on the loan and I am overseas working. I jockied my schedule around so I get home the afternoon before the closing. I told the loan officer they are costing me almost 5 days of pay by me coming home early so they had better not reschedule the closing or I would expect the builder or the builder's lender to offset the days I would have been working since they pushed to move the closing date to the 19 vs the 28.

Current Scores 738 EQ (FICO 02/15) 745 EX (Lender Pull FICO) 768 TU (FICO 02/15)

AMEX Platinum - NPSL, AMEX HH - 2.5k, BofA Travel Rewards - 25K, BofA 123 Cash Rewards - 15K, BofA Amex - 15K, Barclay Black Card - 10K, Chase United Club - 9.6K, Chase Sapphire Preferred - 14k, Discover More - 7.5K, Citi Presitge - 20K, Nationwide Bank - 7.5K, Dillard's - 5K, JCP MasterCard - 12K, Capital One Venture - 3K, Capital One Quicksilver - 10k, Wells Fargo - 6K, Lowe's - 10K,
Message 4 of 42
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Did you try contacting them for an update?  I think by them pulling your credit again your in the clear if all your conditions were satisfied :-)

The waiting game can drive you crazy.....I was suppose to close tomorrow now it's been moved to the 22nd.  My LO flat out told me don't expect to hear anything before Tuesday next week, because of the holiday.  Praying, I get my clear to close soon.  

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 5 of 42
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

I asked for the update last night before I went to bed (am on us time) the response I got when I woke up (after 5pm us time) was that I was pretty safe to go ahead and schedule utilities to be connected they were trying to get the clear to close from the underwriter. No new conditions were expected as they have probably about every piece of paper I could give them. If I had to guess maybe the underwriter is overloaded with my paperwork since they wanted statements from all three of my investment accounts and my 401 for the last year plus previous corporate taxes from my business that I sold in 2008. Like I have said before talking with my dad and guys I work with they have even said the mortgage process has become a joke with the amount of stuff they are asking for. Especially in the case where the person has the assets where the home could be purchased in cash.

Here I go again about to unleash and bash on the mortgage system again lol 

Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah.  With your situation I really don't see them being so careless as some stories would indicate.  With all that traveling, I'd say they would be extra cautious.  It really sounds like you're home free.

Message 7 of 42
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yep I agree with the others. My clear to close wasn't given until the day before closing. So don't stress. It will be here very soon. My LO didn't tell me to transfer utilities over! Your LO must be pretty confident! :-) Congrats!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 42
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

I have followed your story and at this point I think you're good as GOLD.  Hang in there and congrats in advance.    

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 9 of 42
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

Thanks for all the encouragement I am scheduling utilities now. Guess better to be prepared than to not also gives me more leverage I guess to push that they get it closed on schedule.

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.