Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus money banked...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stimulus money banked...

Some nervous moments when my tax refund check took a full week to arrive via mail, but cashed/deposited the check Friday afternoon, with some of it making me debt-free again outside of my new mortgage.

Now, I would have bought this house without the recent stimulus package OR last year's $7,500 loan (which I would have taken and paid back $500 per year without interest). But, it sure is nice to have bought furniture, a refrigerator, lawn mower, etc. without ringing up even more debt, since all are pretty much necessities. I even put half of it back to replenish my savings used for down payment/closing costs.

The particulars: closed the sale 3/2 and completed my 2008 tax return, with the updated Form 5405 that evening, mailing it the next day. Got a notice late in the month saying Treasury could not direct deposit, as requested, for some reason (they tell me that every year even though I KNOW I'm submitting the account numbers correctly -- I'm starting to take it personally. lol). The IRS's "Where's My Refund?" page showed my refund mailed April 3, and I'd sent both the IRS and USPS the appropriate address-change info a week after purchasing. Still, the check came addressed to the old apartment, which apparently delayed it while it was forwarded. Anyway, it arrived in this Friday's mail (4/10)

So, for those other recent, first-time buyers out there -- the check really is in the mail!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stimulus money banked...

Wow that was really fast!  Congrats on the new house too!!!
Message 2 of 6
SilverBerries
Contributor

What a wonderful report. Congratulations!!!!!!

SilverBerries

Message 3 of 6
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Woo Hoo! Sure beats the 12 weeks they are quoting on the IRS website. We are looking forward to it for a new stove and furniture.

Thanks for sharing!

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WannaHouse wrote:

Woo Hoo! Sure beats the 12 weeks they are quoting on the IRS website. We are looking forward to it for a new stove and furniture.

Thanks for sharing!

FYI, amended reports are taking 12 weeks. Regular filings are following the IRS refund schedule and won't take as long.

Message 5 of 6
ponderous
New Contributor

Where does a filing after an extension has been processed fit in?
Elizabeth
3/23/09 - Eagle Home Morgage pulled a 742 on me?!!! WooHoo!!!!

3/16/09
TU 708
EQ 692
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.