Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange question about seller repairs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange question about seller repairs

We just bought a house and the seller agreed to make repairs. One of the repairs was replacing the sink and contertops in the kitchen. We inspect the repairs and everything seems to be in order. Today we notice a puddle of water in the kitchen and find that sink is leaking. Since the repairs were done less than a month ago who's responsible for the repairs: the intallers, the sellers or us?

Thanks for the any and all answers.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Strange question about seller repairs

I'm assuming you've already closed on the house, and that there is no escrow earmarked for repairs at this time.

You are responsible.  If the product (sink) is defective, it may be under a warranty from the manufacturer.  If the entire installation was done by professionals, you should contact them about the defective sink (if applicable) and/or the faulty installation.  IMO, a pro would remedy this for you in the interests of goodwill, let alone any warranty that may be attached to the installation.

If this was a seller do-it-yourself repair, I think you're out of luck.

In any event, it may be an easy repair anyways, probably just tightening a fitting or applying some Teflon tape to threaded joints.

Where is the leak coming from?  The sink itself?  The supply lines?  The sprayer hose fitting?  The trap, maybe (which is my bet)? 

Please let us know, it's probably something you can do yourself in about a minute or two.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. The installation was done by professionals, so I think you're right about getting them to remedy the issue. The leak appears to be coming from the trap, as you suggested. I'm somewhat handy with tools so any suggestions on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Try to just hand-tighten the nuts on the trap fittings.  Most of the time, that'll do it!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaah! Thanks, again. I'll try tonight when I get home.
Message 5 of 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

You're welcome, melanhicup!

If the hand-tighten doesn't quite do it, you can use a pipe wrench on those nuts.  Just don't go gorilla on them, you don't need to wrench them down as tight as they will go.  Snug is good.

And, welcome to the never-ending, thrill-a-minute world of do-it-yourself home repair!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.