Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck Between a Loan and a Hard Place!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stuck Between a Loan and a Hard Place!

Hello gurus! I come to you with hat in hand humbling requesting your ever wise financial guidance.

My situation is this. My parents and I have been sharing a two family house, both helping pay towards the mortgage so it'll be paid off more quickly. It's being handled via a land contract my parents have between themselves and the owner. We have about six months left, then it'll be ours. The problem is, I wish to start doing some major remodeling right now and I need a loan to do it (somewhere in the ballpark of about $15,000). Needless to say, I don’t want to wait six months.

I've looked into several options, but they all seem to have led to a dead end. I've checked the FHA Title I program, a home equity loan and a local county rehabilitation program; all of which state I'll have to have the deed in our names before we can attempt to apply. So an active land contract kinda sinks those ideas.

Then I thought about trying to get just a personal loan I could use to make the repairs myself. The problem is the interest jumped to a whopping 12% (unlike the 3.25-3.5% rate I'd been quoted on the others above). They said if I went with a secured loan I might get a better interest rate, but all I have is my savings account and they said it would be completely tied up for the term of the loan and I'd be unable to touch it. Needless to say, I wanna have that for emergencies or investments, so locking it it up is not really an option.

So I'm at a bit of a loss. I have OK credit, make really good money on my job and have low debit to income ratio. So do I have any options to begin these home repairs soon with a loan I've not explored? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Stuck Between a Loan and a Hard Place!

The tough part is the loan size - for a mortgage that is extremely small  most banks have a minimum loan amount so if you have a bank that will do the loan simply pay off the previous owner - have title transferred when you close the loan 

You wont be able to do anything until they are paid in full - until then a new loan would be a second position lien - mortgages need to be first position

Good Luck I hope you figure something out

As you have seen the other option is to get a non secured line of credit for 15k and pay credit card rates

BrianBTheLoanProfessor

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned above, you may have to finance this on credit cards or a personal loan.

You could take a look and see what CC's are offering 0% financing intro periods - Citi, Cap1 Coke to mind.

You could take a look at a Lowes card - they have special financing at 5.99% apr for 84 months on purchases over $2k. It's a pretty good deal.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you would either have to wait or do the CC or personal loan route.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are personal loans really as abismal as I'm hearing? Is an unsecured loan really gonna cost me 12% interest? I don't think I'll go the secured route, as my savings account is all I have to put up as collatereal and I don't want to lock it up for 2-3 years. I also doubt my credit history would make credit cards an option.

Message 5 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

The challenge of personal loan vs a sux-month wait to secure a home-equity loan. The latter seems the better option.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.