cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Forbearance and Home Loan

tag
curlykim5280

Student Loan Forbearance and Home Loan

So, as many of you I am a little frustrated by the homebuyer "rules".  It feels like I am told that since I didn't stand on my head the first Friday of the second full moon when the price of tea in China was $4/cup that I won't qualify a home loan for yet  another year.

Anyhow, I will admit that I was horrible with my credit in the past (yes indeed I did get a credit card when I was in college because they were offering a free candybar - in my defense it was a king size Snickers and I was a really hungry college student!!).  Anyhow, fast forward to today and yes I took out all the students loans that anyone would give me and yes I did fall behind.  However, I have spent the last nine months in a "rehabilitation" agreement meaning that if I made 9 HUGE payments in a ten month period my student loans would come out of default and I would have the negative status removed from my credit.  Indeed, I took care of this and as of the first of this last month I am officially out of "rehabilitation".  However when I checked my repayment amount it was going to be $798/month.  I am a scientist making less than $60k a year so obviously this was too much and would totally sckew my debt/income ratio.  So I did what I thought was the right thing which was to ask for an income based repayment which would bring my payments down to $273/month but in order to do this the student loan lender put me into a 60 day forbearance so that they could process the paperwork.  However, today when I spoke to a lender he said that if the forbearance showed up on my credit it would take a full year from the beginning of the forbearance before my loan would be approved.  Long question long, is this a rule in mortgages or is this just a rule of his company?  I have talked to quite a few lenders and all of them seem to have different requirements.  How do I know which are required by an FHA and which are just the company's rules?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
tjeff
Valued Member

Re: Student Loan Forbearance and Home Loan

I dont thnk that the forbearance will keep you from getting a loan because it will only take about 2-3 weeks for your IBR to be processed. Also I would call student loan lender and ask if you HAVE to be put in forbearance. They probably assume since you are applying for IBR that you cant afford to pay the monthly amount. If you are worried about the forbearance and you can "afford to pay" for another month or two, then you will need to decide. 

Hope this helps! I am in underwriting now and have 3 different student loans lenders so I know a thng or two abt IBR! 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.