cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans Affecting Being Able to Get Approved to Get a Loan to Buy a House - Is this True ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans Affecting Being Able to Get Approved to Get a Loan to Buy a House - Is this True ?

Recently applied to buy a house.  Never own a house before.    

Was told that due to my wife's having a student loan and even though the payments are currently deferred, they now have to take a 2% of the balance for the application for the loan of the house.  Because of this making the student loan monthly payment (even though doesn't have to be paid until a couple of years) won't be easy to qualify because of this since now this has to be taken into consideration as part of the debts and income.  All this is now part of the loan process to qualify for the loan and get approved.  Even though no payments 
On top of that one of our credit scores have to be 8 points higher.  

Was told this change was done as of September 17, 2015 for the FHA guidelines when it comes to buying a house.  Before that it did not matter and did not affected you if had student loans.  

Want to know if this is true and how exactly this works ? 

If this is true, this is now making people with student loans even harder to be able to buy a house.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans Affecting Being Able to Get Approved to Get a Loan to Buy a House - Is this True ?

I'm not sure about the date thing.  When we bought one of our houses in 2014, my wife's deferred student loans counted towards our DTI.

Message 2 of 4
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loans Affecting Being Able to Get Approved to Get a Loan to Buy a House - Is this True ?

Message 3 of 4
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Is your wife's income needed to get approved for the loan?  I mean, is there anyway you can buy the house without her being on the loan?  I'm pretty sure you can add her later.  Just a thought.

Someone pointed out a link to Shane's post about the changes made back in September and unfortunately there is very little getting around adding at least 2% of a student loan's balance to the D2I of a person applying. 

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.