Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans in DTI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans in DTI

Do student loans factor in majorly to DTI? I started school last November and am going thru a associates to BA to MBA, so it's gonna take me a while before I'm out of deferment. Why do they even factor them in if repayment isnt for at least another 5 years?!?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
deg757
Regular Contributor

Re: Student loans in DTI

From what I understand they don't count them as long as they aren't due to start being repaid within the next 12 months.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@deg757 wrote:

From what I understand they don't count them as long as they aren't due to start being repaid within the next 12 months.

Our LO said they're factored into DTI along with our car payments and cc bills (credit card debt free thank god!!!).

If we didn't have two car payments Iwouldn't be worried about my student loans, but we're going to be cutting it close on the back end DTI.

Message 3 of 7
deg757
Regular Contributor

How do they know what your payment will be especially if you are still incurring more debt while in school? I assume that you are still borrowing to pay for school.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I wanna know...I emailed our LO and she said they contact the credit agency that's handling my student loans and said they could give them a monthly payment..but I'm sure my monthly payment will change when I owe 100k compared to 11k..

Message 5 of 7
bigboihill
Valued Member

I know that lenders may vary and different circumstances may require different measures.  However, it sounds like you are applying for a mortgage that is not FHA.  FHA guidelines state that as long as  your student loans are deferred for at least 12 months post closing, then they don't have to be counted into your DTI.  USDA, VA, and regular conventional loans will count them regardless.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems completely assinine..like taxing me on money I haven't made yet :-/  at least I'm going in with only an 11k balance instead of the anticipated 100k...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.