Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subprime mortgages are back

tag
blunderer
Established Contributor

Re: Subprime mortgages are back

"Buying a home is not a right.  It's a privilege that you earn.  If you haven't earned it yet, don't try and force the issue."

+1000

Message 21 of 39
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Well good for you. You know, many Americans lost their jobs and retirement over greedy banks and many are still underwater in their mortgages from the crash. I was not one of them but I feel for those who ended up losing so much at no fault of their own. When a bank denies someone, it makes them think about why. When a bank caps the payment, people see why after they start paying and are grateful to the banks for that. I don't agree with subprime mortgage lending and I don't think I ever will. They prey on the wrong people and it causes a big mess for the entire country.

People should always be responsible but many first time home buyers are not educated. And they think they can handle it but really cannot. I was uneducated when i bought our first home and i trusted a person in a position of trust that they were working out all the kinks and i believed them when they said, call me in a year and we will get you refinanced. If i knew i would end up trapped, i would have NEVER went through with it. i paid my mortgage on time for 1 year called and it was like i was talking to a totally different person. If someone with a bad credit score can only get approved for a First Premier credit card with a $300 limit, how is it that they should be trusted with $150,000? Secured may be your answer but the bank and Federal govt still takes losses due to foreclosures and when there are many, the high interest rates and fees don't do much to offset the risk. This is proof that this is not an adequate way to manage risk. But yet, the banks are trying it again. That's insanity! I can't wait to see if the bank in the article is still around five years from now. I bet you they won't be. The US Economy is everyone's responsibility. If we turn a blind eye, everyone suffers. One thing I went through because of the housing market crash, was having to come into work every 6 months and hear the cries and the screams in the background while sitting at my cubicle of people getting laid off. I would pray each time that I didn't have an email, voicemail, or note on my desk for me to see my manager that morning. I dodged 4 layoffs in 2 years! After so many rounds, you start cutting the good folks that may not walk on water but still do a great job. I am one of those people. I'm not irreplaceable but I work hard.

Hopefully if an increase in foreclosures occur, someone in govt will shut them down before we end up in The Great Depression II.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 22 of 39
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I like your last statement Foofighter, "buying a home is a privilege not a right". But everything else that you wrote contradicts that. For example, driving is a privilege and not a right. If folks could pay a large sum of money to get their license out of suspension, then driving would be a right. If people could just pay a large sum of money to get out of prison, what is the lesson learned? I can keep selling drugs because I can just pay my way out of the prison system.

There are credit scores for a reason. If you have a 640, you earned the privilege of owning a home. Paying higher interest and fees because you didn't make the cut, makes owning a home a right and I disagree with that.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 23 of 39
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Well good for you. You know, many Americans lost their jobs and retirement over greedy banks and many are still underwater in their mortgages from the crash.

Look...my 401k tanked big time. I was impacted as a lot of people were.

And That's because Wall Street ignored their risk analysis departments and dumped investors into mortgage backed securities that were garbage (mainly because the underlying mortgages were not going to be paid).  What these risk analysis people do is essentially go through a pool of loans and determine the likelihood of default on a sample of the loans. But some of these samples were not big enough, other samples were intentionally fixed (the risk analysts were essentially given a bonus in exchange for picking and choosing which mortgages would be a part of the "random" sample), and in some cases, the samples were returned with as high as a 75% risk of default...and the people higher up in the company, as well as the traders themselves, simply ignored the results.  Their bonuses were not tied to how well their investors actually did - the bonuses were tied to how much in trades they generated. So who cares if the people signing their names to these mortgages will actually pay or not? Not their problem.

I am not saying that banks hold no responsibility. They do.  However, I believe,  that if more people in this country would only buy things they can actually afford...we wouldn't be so heavily in debt, both as a country, and as individuals...

My wife's ex-husband charged up $40,000 in credit card debt.  So they took a second mortgage on their home, paid off the credit cards, and got a manageable monthly payment to pay all the debt off.  So what did he do? he went back and charged up more credit card debt.  Now, I know my wife...and she won't spend a dime on herself unless you force her too.  So it wasn't her.  Still, she got pushed into bankruptcy because she was married to this guy when the debt was created.

Which meant that after we were married...we had to wait out that bankruptcy period to buy a house.  That gave us time to pay other debts off, build a cushion, save money, and plan.  We are not perfect, but I don't expect a bank or anyone else to make sure i don't take on more debt than I can handle. 

And as for people not being educated - I have no sympathy for that. When you're barely getting by month to month, and you walk into a bank and they tell you that you can have a loan that will cost you $700 per month, until the loan resets in a few years...and you don't need any money down to buy a $300,000 house...I'm sorry but if red flags aren't going off for you that it's too good to be true, i have no sympathy.

Message 24 of 39
foofighter74
Established Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I like your last statement Foofighter, "buying a home is a privilege not a right". But everything else that you wrote contradicts that. For example, driving is a privilege and not a right. If folks could pay a large sum of money to get their license out of suspension, then driving would be a right. If people could just pay a large sum of money to get out of prison, what is the lesson learned? I can keep selling drugs because I can just pay my way out of the prison system.

There are credit scores for a reason. If you have a 640, you earned the privilege of owning a home. Paying higher interest and fees because you didn't make the cut, makes owning a home a right and I disagree with that.

I don't agree with your logic here at all and you're essentially arguing semantics of word meanings which is pointless. The fact that banks can get you into a home loan that's awful by the skin of your teeth should not be a license to be reckless with your own finances. 

As for credit scores - they're the worst possible barometer of how likely a person is to pay back a loan.  First of all, they're based on credit reports which may or may not be accurate.  The credit bureaus are one of the few industries where you can sell information you aren't even certain is accurate - but then charge people to look at the information to try and verify its accuracy.  The entire credit score industry is a joke, and I don't see it lasting more than another 20 years or so.  If you can't tell people exactly how to get their best scores becuase you're protecting intellectual property...then you should just admit you're selling snake oil and move on.

The fact is, my wife has always paid her bills on time. Always.  She has never had a charge off, collection or anything else on her credit. Spotless.  Until her divorce and the ensuing bankruptcy.  Through no fault of her own - other than marrying the wrong person - her scores were trashed.  In addition, because of the bankruptcy, she wasn't even eligible for a home loan for two years.

Did her lower scores make her any less likely to pay back a home loan? Of course not.  She's still the same person she was - always pays her bills.  But because her credit score was terrible...she wasn't a good candidate for a home loan, even though the opposite is true - she's exactly the type of person you'd want to lend your money too.  FICO scores exist because someone figured out a way to make money by preying on the mortgage lenders - who in their inherrent laziness and desire to expedite the home loan process, took the credit score bait hook, line and sinker. 

My wife's credit scores are now in the 700's after barely being in the 600"s less than four months ago.  Why? Because the FICO system can be easily manipulated.  This is what they're basing home loans off of? Seriously? 

Message 25 of 39
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Hmmm...still don't agree with ya. We will have to agree to disagree. You just said you had to wait on a mortgage because your wife filed bankruptcy. Why don't we just make bankruptcy seem like peanuts? Why don't we just approve someone for a home loan right after they file a Ch 7? That makes sense right? No it doesn't because BKs scream irresponsibility just how low credit scores scream irresponsibility. A few filed due to no fault of their own...but most filed due to irresponsibility. The banks shut out the bankrupt for a period of time, why should people with low credit scores be treated any differently? I think a score says a lot as it is based upon how you use credit, how you pay for credit, and your derrogatory-ness. Yes there are errors but they are sporadic, not widespread. Because if so, there would be millions complaining to consumer protection about all the errors.

You're really exaggerating with the $700 a month income for a $300,000 home. In my case, I made $75K and bought a $322K home. The income just barely made it. The default is obvious if someone made only $700 a month as the mortgage payment for a $300K home is about $2000 a month. The risk of default in 2008 wasn't that obvious. They squeezed people into homes they could barely afford not into homes they obviously could not afford which is why the sampling on Wall St turned out erroneous. People do things for the money but if you don't do it right, you get fired. Everyone in their respective careers have the responsibility to do something right. If you don't, there are consequences. There should always be consequences for irresponsibility. If there aren't, you never learn. Therefore, validating my analogies as accurate.

There is way more to mortgages then just the payment. My homebuyers class I had to take for this mortgage we have right now was 8 hours long. I had to split it up over a span of days to get through it all. Most people don't know not even 10% of what mortgages are all about. And not everyone is deep in finance to fully understand what exactly was happening on Wall St. Point is that there are many types of people in the world that are very different regarding their financial knowledge and behaviors. Lenders are there to explain the math and all that goes into a mortgage payment. When they lie, make false representations, cheat, and prey on those that have very little knowledge on the subject to make a big commission is abuse of trust and should not be allowed. We have experts in subjects for a reason because an individual cannot be an expert on everything. Nor do these experts have the time to make us experts ourselves. They tell us what we need to know that directly affects our responsibility and we make a decision. When these Brokers were straight out lying to people, folks made bad decisions because of it. It was the banks carelessness and recklessness that caused the crash because they were the ones that ultimately lent the money to these misinformed people!

No one wants background checks because everyone gun owner should be personally responsible. But you have mentally ill and just plain crazy people in the world that you cannot fathom why they would do such horrendous things. Society must be protected from these people. People who continue to make bad decisions must be denied until they have gotten it together.

I don't think we have ever agreed on anything.  People have their own opinions based on what they have experienced in their life, and because of that, you can't persuade people to think like you because experience trumps opinion.

edit by webhopper

Message 26 of 39
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Nothing you've said there really changes the central point which myself, and apparently, several other people in the thread agree with which is that we are all ultimately responsible for our own finances.  We all know what we can afford and what we can't, and while the idea of buying a home may sound like a good idea - and the fact that you can find some lender to squeeze you into a loan may seem appealing, it doesn't change the fact that nobody is forcing you to buy a home when you can't afford it.

I personally have bought things with credit cards that I neither needed, nor could afford...but I did it anyway.  Why? Because people want things.  I managed to pay my debts back.  But it's infuriating to millions of Americans when people take loans they know they can't afford to buy things they haven't yet earned, and then when they can't pay, they turn around blame "predatory lenders" and evil banks for, apparently, forcing them into loans. The bottom line is that if you need the Government to "protect you" from taking out a loan you can't afford - you have bigger problems than anyone could possibly solve here. The idea is ridiculous. "Oh, i can't say no to a loan i know i can't pay back, so the Government needs to make sure I can't even GET the loan in the first place."

Message 27 of 39
foofighter74
Established Contributor

MovingForward_2012 wrote: When they lie, make false representations, cheat, and prey on those that have very little knowledge on the subject to make a big commission is abuse of trust and should not be allowed.

The whole point is why are you even in their presence? Why are you even there when you obviously can't afford to buy a house at the moment?  You don't need to worry about someone that lies, cheats, or makes "false representations" if you're not even sitting in their office in the first place.

A business law teacher once told us that we should never buy anything other than a house that we can't pay for in full in three years.  That means, if you can't comfortably afford the monthly payment on a car (a purchase, not a lease!) purchase financed for three years - then you can't afford the car.  Just wanting something doesn't mean you're entitled to it.

I'd love a $75,000 BMW SUV...and i'm sure if i walked into a dealer, they could somehow work the numbers to get me into a loan...but that doesn't mean i'm going to saunter on in to a dealer just because they say a lot of nice things to try to get me to do just that.

Why? Because my basic model VW Jetta gets me back and forth where i need to go, and I can still easily provide for my family.  It's personal responsibility. Plain and simple.

Message 28 of 39
ESA2012
New Contributor

i really think a credit education class should be offered in highschool before young adults are released on their own. that seems to be where most mistakes are made, young in age, careless mistakes, little education about the process.

Message 29 of 39
foofighter74
Established Contributor

That's not a bad idea and it puts the responsibility of managing your finances and credit worthiness where it belongs - with us as individuals. 

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.