Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Unexplained FICO Drop Threatening Mortgage Closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sudden Unexplained FICO Drop Threatening Mortgage Closing

Lel wrote:

Lenders don't average the scores.  They take the middle score.  So if your scores were 570, 621, and 622, they would use the 621.

I thought that was the case then I read someone on one of the threads here is was an average of the 3 scores. Smiley Sad  OK, I'm confused.  Either way... I think I'm OK but it sure would be nice to know what's exactly correct.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

RevivingFICO:

Smiley HappySmiley Happy I'm glad to be here. I'm also a single parent, and in the spring of 2003 I was hospitalized. My car had been towed and I couldn't immediately get there to get it (in the hospital!) so even though I wasn't behind on my payments my car was repo'd. There was a clause in my loan that they could take it if I "abandoned" it. That's listed on my credit as "voluntary surrender" though there was not a thing voluntary about it. Also, while I was in the hospital, my neighbor was supposed to be watching my apartment. Well, her boyfriend stole an old checkbook, and went to town. Some of the checks he wrote, I wasn't even aware of until they showed up on  my credit just last year. I'm working on getting that cleared up so I can get a better rate.

Because of that repo, I can't get a mobile home loan (which I tried first because I'd heard they're easier to get). It's frustrating and it's like a vicious circle. There is no innocent until proven guilty when it comes to credit. It's the other way around, it seems. Oh well. I can't change the system, so I guess I'll just make the best of what I have to work with.

When my loan officer called me to tell me about my application status, he asked me what I thought my credit score was. I had told him what it was here when I got it at the end of May. I just assumed it was lower. He laughed and told me it was much higher! I was on cloud nine that day. But my nerves keep coming back.

I sincerely hope you are able to get to the bottom of this, or that it doesn't matter. I'm worried that the same thing will happen to me. Because I'm working on getting some inaccuracy's corrected, I'm so afraid that'll negatively impact my credit. Some of my disputed accounts have come back from EX as verified and I'm providing additional information to get them removed. Now these debts state "verified 7/09" so I'm afraid they've been re-aged. This credit stuff is scary. 

Keep on truckin'. You'll get there. Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by Sommery on 08-07-2009 01:23 PM
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

It absolutely 100% correct that lenders use the Middle Score of all three.  They do not average them.

Good Luck!

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like averaging them would be more fair....at least we know how to calculate THAT formula! Smiley Wink
Message 24 of 25
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

RevivingFICO wrote:
Seems like averaging them would be more fair....at least we know how to calculate THAT formula! Smiley Wink

It cuts both ways....using the example I gave above, using the average would have resulted in a non-qualifying score.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.