Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIme to close

tag
Hox
New Contributor

TIme to close

How come it takes so long to close, like if your ofer is approved and you make the deal why does it take anywhere from 2-6 or more weeks to close/get the keys?
08/19/09 - LO Pull EX 707 TU 687 EQ 654
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TIme to close

probably because 100 other people are trying to do they same thing.  banks/lenders are bogged down with home purchases even moreso given the market and more people being able to afford to buy.

just my .02. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless the house is empty most people aren't in a position to pack up an entire house and move in less than 30 days.

Mine took four weeks from offer date to keys in hand, but that is only because the owners had already closed on their new house and had begun the packing/moving process when they put the house on the market.

Message 3 of 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1 and +1 on the above posts.

Also, there is the time it takes to get your mortgage approval.  Your credit needs to be examined, and any deficiencies corrected (pay off an outstanding debt, for instance, as a condition of the mortgage loan).

The property needs to be appraised, and repairs made (if needed) to conform to the lender's requirements.

There's the home inspection to go through also, and those repairs or allowances to deal with.

Of course, then there's the final underwriting of the loan.  That can be a nightmare for numerous reasons, and usually ridiculous ones you'd never even think would come into play.

Title searches can reveal defects in title as well.   Most can be corrected, but that eats up time as well.

Then, just before final settlement, the final numbers have to come in from the local tax dept, utilities, homeowner associations, etc. to make sure any bills against the property are accounted for accurately.

Of course, all these things involve lots of different people.  So things can get screwed up, timewise.

It's worth the wait, though...and the joy in owning your new home will far outweigh the temporary pain of buying it!

Good question, hope it's been answered for you.

Carry on...

Message 4 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

You should be able to get an all cash deal done in less than a week otherwise you have to get in line Smiley Wink

It just takes time

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.