New Visitor
rube08

Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

There is a building company that is building a community, which takes FHA loans.  I was interested in building a new home that would cost $170,000.  The purchase agreement requires a 3.5% deposit, basically the minimal down payment for FHA loan, when you sign the purchase agreement.  The problem I have is that I was going to take a loan out of my 401K to put the 3.5% down plus closing costs.  The 401K loan requires that I have a purchase agreement that contains the purchase price, address of where the property is located, and both buyer and sellers signatures in order to get the 401K loan.  I was thinking of taking a personal loan out to put the 3.5% down, sign the purchase agreement with the 3.5% deposit, submit my loan application with the purchase agreement to my employer's 401K, and then use that I receive from my 401K to immediately pay off the personal loan. Will this look bad when going through underwriting?

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Re: Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

Sounds like it will. Does the 401k have a personal loan option unrelated to real estate?

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
KatieKatie

Re: Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

Have you attempted to negotiate with the seller to obtain a 10 or 14 day period to provide earnest money?  This is not an unusual request and even though the current contractual language requires earnest money at contract signing I think it's a common point of negotiation and the agreement could be easily modified to accommodate this.

Starting: Equifax 480
Current: EQ: 656 TU: 721 EXP: 686
Goal: 750

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}