Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

There is a building company that is building a community, which takes FHA loans.  I was interested in building a new home that would cost $170,000.  The purchase agreement requires a 3.5% deposit, basically the minimal down payment for FHA loan, when you sign the purchase agreement.  The problem I have is that I was going to take a loan out of my 401K to put the 3.5% down plus closing costs.  The 401K loan requires that I have a purchase agreement that contains the purchase price, address of where the property is located, and both buyer and sellers signatures in order to get the 401K loan.  I was thinking of taking a personal loan out to put the 3.5% down, sign the purchase agreement with the 3.5% deposit, submit my loan application with the purchase agreement to my employer's 401K, and then use that I receive from my 401K to immediately pay off the personal loan. Will this look bad when going through underwriting?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

Sounds like it will. Does the 401k have a personal loan option unrelated to real estate?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
KatieKatie
Regular Contributor

Re: Take out personal loan to immediately pay back

Have you attempted to negotiate with the seller to obtain a 10 or 14 day period to provide earnest money?  This is not an unusual request and even though the current contractual language requires earnest money at contract signing I think it's a common point of negotiation and the agreement could be easily modified to accommodate this.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.