Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking to a loan officer for the first time

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Talking to a loan officer for the first time

This is my first time in this situation, so I'm really nervous/anxious/all of the above.

I am making an appointment to talk with a loan officer about what my DH and I need to do to get approved for a VHDA or FHA loan (Virginia). We've been playing phone tag for about 2 weeks, so I actually haven't spoken to her yet. What I wanted to do was show her copies of all our credit reports and W-2s to get an idea of what else we need to do to qualify for a mortgage. Will she help me without a hard pull on our credit? I don't want a hard pull unless I know that we can be approved with unpaid derogatories left on our CRs. Or do I have to sacrifice a hard pull for this? I have about 20 inqs and my DH has 5-7 inqs currently. We made $106,000 last year and it will be a few thousand higher this year. The houses in my area are anywhere from $350,000 - $600,000+. Would we even qualify with our income? We both have 401k accounts and have $2500 available cash. My dad can gift, also.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tjeff
Valued Member

Re: Talking to a loan officer for the first time

If she is a good loan officer, then yes she will meet with you and talk numbers. If you know your credit score, that will also be beneficial. Remember, what she quotes you could be higher or lower but at least you will have an idea of what you need to work on and how much you can afford.

Message 2 of 4
206captain
Valued Member

Don't be nervous.  They are professionals and it's their job to guide you.  I guarantee that no matter what credit messes you might bring them, they've seen worse!

Message 3 of 4
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

I did the same thing about a month ago...I wanted to see if I should stick to my timeline or wait. I told the lady upfront I didnt want my credit run and had my reports, W2s and pay stubs so she could get an idea of what I was working with. She was very nice and answered all my questions and calmed my nerves regarding this whole preparing for the mortgage process thing. So hopefully the lady you speak with will be just as helpful. Good luck. 

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.