Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax appeal

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Tax appeal

Not sure what all happens at a hearing for my tax assessment that I appealed but if I loose the appeal, will they charge me interest on tax due?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Tax appeal

@babbles wrote:

Not sure what all happens at a hearing for my tax assessment that I appealed but if I loose the appeal, will they charge me interest on tax due?

Even if you are appealing your taxes you should pay the amount they say is owed. If you win your appeal and they lower your taxes, you would be refunded the difference in what was paid.

Not paying could cause you all types of issues, liens, additional fees, etc etc etc....  While you could still fight all these issues if they arrise, it will once again cost you time and aggravation even if you do get them resolved. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Copy that.

we appealed,  And lost.  But my taxes are lummped into the mortgage payment so I didn't have to worry about any make up payments.  Just keep up on your taxes!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 5
babbles
Established Contributor

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.  Did you appear before a board?  Did you have to present evidence or something?  I am supposed to appear before a board in june.

Message 4 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

We forgot to go to the hearing.  But we submitted a letter, our appraisal report, and information from the agent that sold the house to the original buyer and then tried to help her sell prior to the foreclosure.  Also our agent's advice.  Our point was that THIS is what the house is worth as it was on the market for a year w/ no buyers.  Unfortunately, our appraisal came in 7K over the purchase price.  (Well, fortunately!)   I couldn't leave work, so I have no idea.  My dad went to his tax appeal and he didn't say anything, he just sat there and watched the board go over the paperwork.  I don't even know if they tell you at the hearing whether or not they change their mind.    I think it is being taxed at 163 and we bought for 150.  It's like 200 a year more than I would like.

Please come back to the post and let us know how it goes!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.